First Man In Space - At Vicksburg?

Wow! Never seen or heard this before. Learning something new today. Thanks for sharing this awesome article and another piece of Civil War history’s mysteries found.

I first read of this in Winston Groom's book on Vicksburg. The humorous way he describes it made me laugh out loud as I was reading. :bounce: If one can find the video of him giving the talk on his book, it's even funnier to hear him tell it in his thick southern accent.:bounce::bounce::bounce:

Jim-Jammi

Private
They mention this story in the regimental history of the 124th illinois volunteers. I also transcribed a set of letters from a Sgt. James Hanes where he directly mentions this incident as well. Interesting stuff! I posted his letters in the vicksburg forum. :smile:

Karen Lips

1st Lieutenant
I first read of this in Winston Groom's book on Vicksburg. The humorous way he describes it made me laugh out loud as I was reading. :bounce: If one can find the video of him giving the talk on his book, it's even funnier to hear him tell it in his thick southern accent.:bounce::bounce::bounce:
Didn't he say something like, "Yesterday I was with the South, but today I done got blowed into the Union."

Waterloo50

Major
Forum Host
Silver Patron
I really hope that he made that cartoon whistling noise as he fell back to earth, I’d imagine that his landing was just as bad as his launch. Great story though.👍