First Civil War amputee

I just retired after over 40 years in prosthetics. Almost 40 years of that time was spent at the VA hospital in Hines Illinois where I made artificial limbs for veterans.

I’ll be very interested in seeing the national archive records of James Edward Hanger Who is considered to be the first amputee of the Civil War. And who made his own prosthesis.

Am I eligible to obtain those records even though I’m not a relative?

CadCam Scanner
Cadet

I just retired after over 40 years in prosthetics. Almost 40 years of that time was spent at the VA hospital in Hines Illinois where I made artificial limbs for veterans.

I’ll be very interested in seeing the national archive records of James Edward Hanger Who is considered to be the first amputee of the Civil War. And who made his own prosthesis.

CadCam Scanner
Cadet
@lupaglupa thanks for tagging me on this.

No, you don't have to be a relative to get Civil War files. The only reason that you have to be a relative for more recent wars is privacy issues, and the fact that the veteran could still be alive or possibly had recently died. The Civil War is far enough in the past that the records are public record now.

@CadCam Scanner what are you looking to find on him? There are the traditional pensions and service records available for many soldiers. There is also an entire record group devoted to prosthetics. Check out this article: https://www.archives.gov/files/cale...esentations/kluskens-ngs-article-handout1.pdf

The National Archives are closed now, due to the pandemic. They'll probably be closed for another couple months at least. I make regular trips there and do research for hire there. I've gotten records for many people here before. If you live too far to get what you need in person, let me know-- I may be able to help you out.

--Brian

Last edited:

CadCam Scanner
Cadet
Do know what state he was from or unit?

Born Churchville, Virginia
14th Virginia Cavalry
He had just enlisted three days prior
Injured in Battle of Phillipi June 3, 1861
He was not with the 14th Va Cav but the 24th Va inf. Here are his records and they match what you said about wound and capture site of Phillipi.

Attachments

• Hanger, James E.pdf
    1.3 MB · Views: 11
In one of Sam Hood’s books about the general, there is a quotation to the effect that, after his recovery from losing his leg at Chickamauga, Hood could get around better on his Virginia-made prosthetic limb than he could on a fancy one that had been run through the blockade from France. Mary Chesnut, in fact, said he could get around moderately well using only a cane. I have sometimes wondered if the better limb he got made in Virginia was one crafted by Hanger.

What about the first land battle of the Civil War at Fairfax Court House on June 1, 1861. The Union suffered 4 wounded and the Confederates 2, and given that amputation was the likely result of a wound. Philippi was on June 3, 1861. What about skirmishes which happened before the battles began. A lot of room for casualties.

Back