Firearms from Europe

johan_steele

Regimental Armorer
Retired Moderator
Firearms from Europe by James Whisker, Daniel Hartzler and Larry Yantz is one of those essential books for any refernce library that covers the firearms of the Civil War. Every firearm imported into the US by either side is covered in detail which include detailed photographs. British, French, Austrain, German, Russian and Spanish firearms are covered as well as the Swiss rifles that were imported.

THe Payne papers, US Ordnance Contracts, pictures of existing arms and an absoulutely beautiful bibliography make this a stupendous book to own. While hard to find it is well worth the effort and money to add it to the collection. One of the most meticulously researched books i have ever read I place it on the shelf next to Edwards Civil War Guns and Fullers The Rifled Musket.

Shane,

I agree. "Firearms" is a great reference source and a must for any student of ACW firepower. Authors Whisker, Hartzler and Yantz have also collaborated on "The US Model 1861 Springfield Rifle-Musket", another "must-have" book. I was able to use information in that particular book to help identify a Norris and Clement contract model 63 in my collection to Cpl. William W. Lewis, 39th USCT.

I would also add Reilly's "United States Military Small Arms 1816-1865" and Fuller's "Springfield Shoulder Arms" to the list.

TomH

Back