Finley's Florida Brigade in the Atlanta Campaign

OldReliable1862

First Sergeant
I've been trying to figure out the movements of Finley's Florida Brigade during the Atlanta campaign; it's not so easy, especially because I don't yet have Jonathan Sheppard's By the Noble Daring of Her Sons. Finley was wounded on 14 May, and from what I can tell, he didn't return until August at Jonesborough. Wikipedia says that Colonel Angus McLean took over, but doesn't give any more information. The CWBT maps are no help, as they simply give Finley as the commander. Is it safe to assume McLean was commanding the brigade in the entire period Finley was absent, from May to August?

I'm also trying to figure out how many battles the Floridians took part during the Atlanta Campaign. So far I have:
- Resaca (at least skirmishing)
- Dallas
- Kennesaw Mountain
- Peach Tree Creek (lightly engaged?)
- Bald Hill (lightly engaged?)
- Jonesborough

Not a battle, but as far as I know, the Floridians were the soldiers nearest when Leonidas Polk, as I think Colonel William S. Dilworth was the officer who urged the generals to not stand on such an exposed position.

Last edited:
I've been trying to figure out the movements of Finley's Florida Brigade during the Atlanta campaign; it's not so easy, especially because I don't yet have Jonathan Sheppard's By the Noble Daring of Her Sons. Finley was wounded on 14 May, and from what I can tell, he didn't return until August at Jonesborough. Wikipedia says that Colonel Angus McLean took over, but doesn't give any more information. The CWBT maps are no help, as they simply give Finley as the commander. Is it safe to assume McLean was commanding the brigade in the entire period Finley was absent, from May to August?

I'm also trying to figure out how many battles the Floridians took part during the Atlanta Campaign. So far I have:
- Resaca (at least skirmishing)
- Dallas
- Kennesaw Mountain
- Peach Tree Creek (lightly engaged?)
- Bald Hill (lightly engaged?)
- Jonesborough

Not a battle, but as far as I know, the Floridians were the soldiers nearest when Leonidas Polk, as I think Colonel William S. Dilworth was the officer who urged the generals to not stand on such an exposed position.

Colonel Robert Bullock of the 7th Florida commanded the brigade through much of the campaign, including the Battle of Dallas, and at the Battle of Atlanta (July 22). He was wounded at Utoy Creek, even though the Florida troops were not actually engaged.

Col. William S. Dilworth of the 3rd Florida was commanding the brigade at Pine Mountain, when Gen. Polk was killed behind the brigade's line...

Gen. Finley had been wounded at Resaca in May by a tree limb severed by artillery falling on him. He returned and led the brigade in the August 31 attack at Jonesboro, and he was wounded and evacuated never to return to the brigade. Bullock again commanded the brigade into the Tennessee campaign, and at Franklin, until wounded in the foot in the action at Overall's creek near Murfreesboro in early December....

At the Battle of Atlanta, the Florida troops were not at Bald Hill. They were near the extreme right of Hardee's attack, with Bate's Division, attacking across today's "Hardee Creek..." through what was then an immensely muddy and cluttered mill pond toward Grenville Dodge's XVI Corps. Captain Hugh Black of the 6th Florida says so many of the men were exhausted, hungry, and disgusted with the situation many laid down to await capture...

This history of the Orphan Brigaded mentions Finleys' brigade, as they were in the same division in the Atlanta Campaign...
Google Books: Thompson, Orphan Brigade

Vote Here:
Back