Finished transcribing letters Written during the seige of vicksburg-124th illinois.

Jim-Jammi

Private
Hi all! (if this isn't the appropriate forum to post this in let me know!)
I recently finishing transcribing a set of letters written by Sgt. James Hanes - a member of the 124th Illinois inf.- during the Seige of Vicksburg.
I thought that sharing a little about their contents might be interesting to you guys :smile:
The way I even gained access to these letters was all due to chance. During my reading of the regimental history of the 124th, I would search on findagrave.com for soldiers whose deaths were mentioned. I added a bit to a memorial and one of the current relatives reached out, thanked me, and mentioned that he had a set of letters from this soldier. I asked if he would be willing to share them with me, and as thanks, I would transcribe them for him. He was happy to let me read them, and so I just finished this little project.

His letters mention - in passing- the battles of Raymond, Champion Hill, Pemberton's surrender of Vicksburg, the surrender of Port Hudson, and Rosecrans defeat at Chickamauga. He also mentions different figures such as Vallandingham, Genl. Leggett, John alexander Logan, and of course Pemberton and Grant.

To me the most fun part of transcribing this was when I recognized a scary/humorous occurrence that he wrote home about, as also being featured in the regimental history.
From the regimental history's mention of the incident:
"everything had been unusually active since the 26th, and on July 1st the fort was blown up again...six persons were blown into our lines. three of whom were colored, and one of them, named Abe, survived his transit. Theodore R. Davis of Harpers Weekly, sketched him on the spot, all dirt and tatters as he was. He said he went up two miles, saw stars, met his master-who was one of the white men killed- coming down... A part of which, seeing stars, was doubtless true. He was the hero of the hour."

Unfortunately Sgt. Hanes died in May of 1864, most likely from illness and was buried in Vicksburg.
here's the link to his gravesite- https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/216941366/james-hanes#source

If you have any questions or want to read the letters feel free to reach out to me. (please don't reach out to the relative on find a grave)

ucvrelics

Lt. Colonel
Forum Host
Regtl. Quartermaster Shiloh 2020
You are in the right spot and we would love to read the letters. If you would like, you can post them here for us to read. Thanks and looking forward to reading them.

Jim-Jammi

Private
Hi all! (if this isn't the appropriate forum to post this in let me know!)
I recently finishing transcribing a set of letters written by Sgt. James Hanes - a member of the 124th Illinois inf.- during the Seige of Vicksburg.
I thought that sharing a little about their contents might be interesting to you guys :smile:
The way I even gained access to these letters was all due to chance. During my reading of the regimental history of the 124th, I would search on findagrave.com for soldiers whose deaths were mentioned. I added a bit to a memorial and one of the current relatives reached out, thanked me, and mentioned that he had a set of letters from this soldier. I asked if he would be willing to share them with me, and as thanks, I would transcribe them for him. He was happy to let me read them, and so I just finished this little project.

His letters mention - in passing- the battles of Raymond, Champion Hill, Pemberton's surrender of Vicksburg, the surrender of Port Hudson, and Rosecrans defeat at Chickamauga. He also mentions different figures such as Vallandingham, Genl. Leggett, John alexander Logan, and of course Pemberton and Grant.

To me the most fun part of transcribing this was when I recognized a scary/humorous occurrence that he wrote home about, as also being featured in the regimental history.
From the regimental history's mention of the incident:
"everything had been unusually active since the 26th, and on July 1st the fort was blown up again...six persons were blown into our lines. three of whom were colored, and one of them, named Abe, survived his transit. Theodore R. Davis of Harpers Weekly, sketched him on the spot, all dirt and tatters as he was. He said he went up two miles, saw stars, met his master-who was one of the white men killed- coming down... A part of which, seeing stars, was doubtless true. He was the hero of the hour."

Unfortunately Sgt. Hanes died in May of 1864, most likely from illness and was buried in Vicksburg.
here's the link to his gravesite- https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/216941366/james-hanes#source

If you have any questions or want to read the letters feel free to reach out to me. (please don't reach out to the relative on find a grave)

Letters posted here. If you have corrections to make to any of it let me know. Be warned the spelling of this writer was not the best, and a few sections do not make much sense. Haha
I only have permission from the relative to post it to this group. So please don't re-post or share it on any other sites.

Attachments

• James Hanes Letters for CWT.pdf
    397.7 KB · Views: 16

ucvrelics

Lt. Colonel
Forum Host
Regtl. Quartermaster Shiloh 2020
Great read. Thanks for sharing, would love to read the letters from his wife in response to his.

Tom Hughes

First Sergeant
I love the story he related in his story about "Abe" being blown 2 miles into the air. The story of the black boy being blown during the detonation of the mine in the Confederate stockade redan is classic. I've heard and read several accounts of this incident. Very interesting stuff. It's truly amazing that he survived at all. I had read an account that Abe was a real novelty in the Union camp. One of the soldiers made money off of him by putting him in a tent and charging a fee for people to go into the tent and ask him questions.

Jim-Jammi

Private
Haha, betcha poor Abe didn't see a cent of that money. I'd love to read some of the other accounts. If you remember any of the other sources that had this/or similar a story I'd love to check them out. :smile:

Tom Hughes

First Sergeant
Haha, betcha poor Abe didn't see a cent of that money. I'd love to read some of the other accounts. If you remember any of the other sources that had this/or similar a story I'd love to check them out. :smile:
Abe got to washes and cook for the soldiers. I just hope they let him eat the leftovers.