Finding Cannonballs In Charleston, South Carolina?

Fewer ads. Lots of American Civil War content!
JOIN NOW: REGISTER HERE!

ucvrelics

Major
Forum Host
Welcome From THE Heart Of Dixie. Digging shells in Charleston city limits is a big no no but there are MANY other places to dig relics legally. The outer island are good place but you need to know what land you are on. Research is the key in finding sites to dig. I have dug many shells and I always disarm them myself and still have all my fingers.

Shannon Wolf

Private
Welcome from Florida! I volunteer with NPS at Kingsley Plantation. Most of our parks have archeological digs. Contact the ones in Charleston. Some of them even have residence programs where you can stay for free in exchange for volunteering. They call us V.I.P's , Volunteers In Parks lol

Shannon Wolf

Private
Digging with any NPS is volunteer labor only, you don't get to keep what you find. I don't think that is what the OP is interested in!
J.
It is an option to have the fun of it without getting into trouble lol. I know it's not for everyone, and relic hunters want relics, but it is a fun way to preserve history with minor perks. :cannon:

This is my first post here, so I’d like to introduce myself too, I created this account today to ask a rather interesting question, where would be a good spot to find cannonballs in Charleston South Carolina? I’m from New York, and will be going down there this summer with my metal detector. (Tracker iv from bounty hunter detectors) I know Charleston was heavily involved in the American civil war, so that probably means that cannonballs could be anywhere I’m guessing? Anyways I’d love to find one, but wouldn’t know where to get it professionally defused by a civil war expert, and NOT the bomb squad. They’ve been known to destroy them with explosives.

Thanks for your time.

View attachment 311139
Hello Sir. I live 3 hours from Charleston. Charleston is a funny place when it come to relic hunting. There is a ton of protected land in the area which can create issues. Avoid any posted or protected areas. Don't discount farm land just a new miles inland. Drive north and south on Highway 17 20-40 minutes outside of Charleston. Farm land is everywhere. Depending on how much time you have, I'd start knocking on farmers doors. You may be surprised who will let you search/detect. The app LANDGLIDE is a fantastic app to determine who owns what land and how much. Good luck with your search.

landglide.jpg

Any good relic hunter is not going to tell you where his "Honey Hole" is. When some one asks me where I found what ever I will tell them "in the crotch of a hollow tree". Gets my point across.

Belfoured

Private
This is my first post here, so I’d like to introduce myself too, I created this account today to ask a rather interesting question, where would be a good spot to find cannonballs in Charleston South Carolina? I’m from New York, and will be going down there this summer with my metal detector. (Tracker iv from bounty hunter detectors) I know Charleston was heavily involved in the American civil war, so that probably means that cannonballs could be anywhere I’m guessing? Anyways I’d love to find one, but wouldn’t know where to get it professionally defused by a civil war expert, and NOT the bomb squad. They’ve been known to destroy them with explosives.

Thanks for your time.

View attachment 311139
Just saw this. I'd be very surprised if Jack Melton wouldn't know about this. Jack is the publisher of Civil War News and the Artilleryman and that's in his home turf.

Story

First Sergeant
FOLLY BEACH S.C. (WCSC) - Beachgoers found two Civil-War-era cannonballs on the edge of Folly Beach, uncovered by Hurricane Dorian and laying in the sand.
After reporting it, police, fire and local EOD teams responded, confirming the relics and making sure the cannonballs weren’t still live and dangerous.
Aaron Lattin and his girlfriend found the cannonballs off East Ashley avenue on the beach overlooking the Morris island lighthouse Friday night. The couple said they are new to the area and are happy to run into a piece of history.

RochesterBill

Corporal
That’s pretty scary to think about. I’ll make sure to get permission first, and stay off of public land that’s forbidden
I hope this comment comes across in the constructive spirit in which it is intended:

First of all, you need to have a plan which consists of something more than "I'm going to Charleston and driving around". It will yield you nothing.

Secondly, ALL government-owned land - parks, historical sites, sewage treatment plants, parking lots and literally everything else is off limits everywhere. "Staying off public land that's forbidden" can be shortened to"staying off public lands"

Lubliner

First Sergeant
There is a ton of new muck at the bottom, and all channels within the harbor are not as they were 150 years ago. The beach couple were lucky to be at the spot after a storm. Seriously, with the amount of dredging and sedimentary filtration that the harbor has experienced over the years, you might want to play for some Lotto. Welcome from southeast Tennessee.
Lubliner.

Tom Hughes

Corporal
Property to hunt will be your real issue. Charleston is an urban area. If you do find a spot with permission to dig you may be digging a lot of trash signals to get to the shells. As you know, most of the shells fell deep and are generally 3 ft. plus in the ground. That can mean digging through a lot of modern trash.
Good luck and let us know how it goes.

JPChurch

Sergeant
I friend of mine worked for the Army Corps of Engineers in Charleston back in the 1980's/early 90's. He said the harbor dredges would get clogged up with cannon balls all the time when in operation to clear the main shipping channels. Digging/metal detecting around the harbor is not something to consider unless you have written permission from any landowner willing to let you do so. This same friend of mine said the remains of Battery Wagner were long gone and under water and this was decades before he began working for the Corps. I do have two very valued relics from Ft. Sumter and Ft. Johnson that he gave me.