Muzzleldrs Finding an original ACW rifled musket

I have always gotten much better prices purchasing at auctions than I have ever seen from a dealer. Considering that a local auction might be a problem, perhaps online auctions would work well for you? The best values are at local auctions without internet bidding, but I still see reasonable prices on things that are relatively more common.

The photos aren't the best, but this one looks decent and I would bet it will sale for less than your top dollar. You could at least keep an eye on it just to get an idea what something might cost you if you went this route. Considering it's a west coast auction it will likely bring less money than something on the east coast and the shipping wouldn't be as much for you. If you do bid, just make sure you take into account the buyer's premium and shipping cost.

I don't know if the op took my advice or not, but this ended up selling for $720 plus shipping. Cheaper than a reproduction!

I don't know if the op took my advice or not, but this ended up selling for $720 plus shipping. Cheaper than a reproduction!

Thanks again, everyone for advice. No @rob63, I didn’t follow that auction. Instead I have been talking to a CWT member about an original Enfield that he has offered for a reasonable price. We plan to meet soon to consummate the deal. I really do appreciate all the advice that you and others have shared. Eventually I also hope to acquire an 1861(?) Springfield. I’m just getting started!

I've got an original Model 1842 with a rifled and sighted barrel in good condition, i.e. an even, uniform light pitting on the metal. I have had the barrel re-lined for use with mild wadcutter-type Minie/Burton bullets, and an extra barrel for use in smooth bore matches.

Originals are out there, certainly. Good luck and happy hunting!

You'll find a wide variety of great arms at Rock Island Auction, too. Sometimes you can get a great deal, but it all depends on who is bidding and your top bid. Invaluable serves as a good warehouse for numerous auction sites and covers both domestic and international auctions.
My son is V. M. I. Class of 1998

Back