Find A Grave Links To Our Civil War Women

Great idea.

I must be doing something wrong on my search. It's hard to believe she isn't on find a grave.

You aren't doing something wrong, it just takes an individual with information about a person's name and burial to put them on findagrave. Would you like to do it? Sign up as a member -- you will not be bothered with emails or spam. Go to your Contributor page and follow the steps to create a memorial. All you need do is supply her first, last and maiden names and her place of burial. As the creator of the memorial, you may write what you wish about her achievements in the bio section. Then Click Photo Request and ask for a photo of her gravestone or marker and likely some volunteer in the area will post one. I you want help, start a Conversation with me SuzanneA and I'll respond.

As to people's wishes that family would be filled in, I research a long list of Civil War soldiers and sometimes I create memorials for them and mention their CW service. There is not enough time in life for me to try to do the research necessary to detail their family members when I know nothing personal about the soldier. It is far easier for family to do that, they have a head start. My hope in setting up these memorials is that some family member will discover them and learn about the man's military service.

And for women, it is often impossible for a stranger to find her married and burial name when all you have is her maiden name to start with, there is no database I know of that will convert her maiden name to her married name(s). Findagrave can be a resource if the maiden name is recorded, but that will only yield the name she was buried under. Woman sometimes had more than one husband and did not die married to the one they had their children with.

Findagrave had the opportunity to set up searchability that would tie any married name a woman was known by to her grave and her maiden name, but they did not set up their data base that way, a great loss to genealogy. This because men set these things up and they don't change their names as their status changes through life. I've commented a few times about this to findagrave, but I guess the task to overhaul their set up is just too overwhelming.

Here's a Civil War Nurse who was actually in the US Army. Caroline Gerlach Boston

http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=gr&GSvcid=601471&GRid=93328500&

She also left her children with relatives to become a nurse. In her case it was to nurse her wounded husband. As he improved both he and she were working in Benton Barracks Hospital in St. Louis. It appears to me that they kept her husband there rather than return him to his service unit because Caroline' services were so valuable to them. Both left as the birth of her next child loomed and her husband started the process of homesteading in Nebraska.

Dorotha Burton Hudson (1892 - 1963) http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=gr&GRid=12625247
The large oak tree beneath which Confederate General Zollicoffer was killed served as an unofficial monument to the battle for Fishing Creek. A Union veteran named Henry Trimble donated one acre of land which contained both the "Zollie Tree" and a mass grave containing over 100 unknown Confederate soldiers. In 1902, the young Dorotha Burton (later Hudson) began caring for the graves and started the tradition of placing an evergreen wreath around its trunk each year.

In 1909, Dorotha gave birth to a daughter who was named Zollie Tree Hudson (1909 - 1988) (later married a Weaver) http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=gr&GRid=47056780

https://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=gr&GRid=1341

I don't think I put hers here yet.

mary hairr mary l.jpg

Mary Todd Lincoln, although I can't say the write up on Find A Grave is wonderful.

Greet thread, I figured I’d give it a bump 👍

Jane Claudia Johnson

“Born with impressive ancestry, raised on a North Carolina plantation, and married into one of the first families of the state of Maryland, Jane Claudia Saunders Johnson played a major role in the history of her husband's (Brig. Gen. Bradley T. Johnson) First Maryland Regiment, C.S.A during the Civil War. She was the daughter of the Hon. Romulus Mitchell Saunders, a former North Carolina Attorney General, Congressman, and Diplomat to Spain. She was a grand daughter of both Col. William Saunders of the Continental Army of the Revolutionary War and William Johnson, Justice of the US Supreme Court. She was a life long friend of the Countess D'Teba of Space, later Empress Eugenie of France.

In May of 1861, approximately 500 Marylanders left their state to assemble at Point of Rocks and Harpers Ferry, West Virginia to be sworn into the service of the Confederate States Army as the First Maryland Regiment. Because Maryland had not left the Union, these homeless Rebel Marylanders could not obtain the necessary equipment to outfit their regiment. Jane Claudia Johnson, wife of the battalion's senior captain and acting commander Bradley T. Johnson, volunteered to travel back to her home state of North Carolina to raise money and procure the needed equipment to supply her husband's regiment.

In 1861 and 1862 when the Confederate government considered absorbing Maryland troops into Virginia regiments, Mrs. Johnson sent numerous letters to President Davis persuading him to reconsider and keep the Maryland troops in their own battalion, led by Maryland native officers. She also led the movement to move native Marylanders, who originally joined the Confederate armies of other states, into the Maryland battalion.

Once she outfitted the whole of the 1st Maryland Regiment troops, Mrs. Johnson continued to follow her husband to his various army camps in the state of Virginia throughout the War. At each camp the Marylanders set up, Mrs. Johnson provided social activities for the soldiers including dances with the local young ladies, theatricals, and choral productions; maintained a reading library for their enjoyment; organized the building of a makeshift church and worked with various traveling pastors and priests to make sure that her husband's troops worshiped at church each Sunday while in camp.

General and Mrs. Johnson, when apart at times during the War, kept up a steady correspondence that originally started when they were teenagers in Maryland and North Carolina. Their war time correspondence gives a glimpse of how the Civil War affected families, from the soldiers out in the field, to their wives and children working for the war effort from the home front.

At the conclusion of the Civil War, General and Mrs. Johnson became leaders in the Maryland Confederate Memorial Associations, Maryland Soldiers Homes, United Daughters of the Confederacy and United Confederate Veterans.

Jane Claudia Johnson died at the close of the Nineteenth Century, on December 31, 1899. She was the mother of Bradley Saunders Johnson. General Bradley T. Johnson, her husband, wrote a tribute memoir to her that was later published in the Southern Historical Society Papers in 1901.

Her headstone reads:
JANE CLAUDIA
March 8, 1832 - Dec. 31, 1899
Daughter of Hon. Romulus M. and Anna Hayes Saunders and Honored Wife of Gen'l Bradley T. Johnson of Maryland
Erected By
Confederate Soldiers in Maryland in Memory of a Noble Woman
A.D. 1901

Bio by S. Hampton, July 2006”

https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/20300330/jane-claudia-johnson

C283B5C4-FF27-4D7C-8354-3F1D625F087F.jpeg

Back