In the Field Finally Got The Hunt For The Confederate Cannons Started Today, Are These Them?

Thanks for all the encouragement. Here is a little update. This was a preliminary look see to determine if the research was correct and they were in fact in the river. We were using a look down sonar and even though I'm excited with what we saw we are going to bring in a sidescan sonar and divers to confirm. I am excited about what we found but I'm not going to start dancing and whistling Dixie, not to mention jumping thru the permitting hoops till I know for sure. The photos on the sonar are very promising as they do match the site location and research. I went over to the arsenal site as it is being cleared for development. The arsenal was built right along the Selma & Meridian railroad so I know right where it is located. The first photo show the view looking at the river. The river site is between those 2 trees. The others are of the original location of the railroad during the CW. The last one is for @DaveBrt
IMG_20190803_090331248_HDR.jpg
IMG_20190803_091710140.jpg
IMG_20190803_091750439.jpg

S&M railroad
IMG_20190803_092304976_HDR.jpg

Thanks for all the encouragement. Here is a little update. This was a preliminary look see to determine if the research was correct and they were in fact in the river. We were using a look down sonar and even though I'm excited with what we saw we are going to bring in a sidescan sonar and divers to confirm. I am excited about what we found but I'm not going to start dancing and whistling Dixie, not to mention jumping thru the permitting hoops till I know for sure. The photos on the sonar are very promising as they do match the site location and research. I went over to the arsenal site as it is being cleared for development. The arsenal was built right along the Selma & Meridian railroad so I know right where it is located. The first photo show the view looking at the river. The river site is between those 2 trees. The others are of the original location of the railroad during the CW. The last one is for @DaveBrt
View attachment 319302View attachment 319303View attachment 319304

S&M railroad
View attachment 319305
Great shot! Thanks for thinking of me.

Great shot! Thanks for thinking of me.
Not a problem, I though you would enjoy it. If you look at the map I sent you there is a building right next to the RR on the north side right on the river that the arsenal site.

If you haven't been diving for a while please, please refresh your skills in a pool or other more sedate environment before you go into the river. Don't want you showing up in the "Accidents and Incidents" forum on "Scubaboard" (My other online home)

Oh what's the worst that could happen....

I know the ending to this story with the cannons - he's going to be "gifted" with them!:sneaky:

Let's all face it, @ucvrelics is THE MAN when it comes to this stuff!
Thanks but NO I'm not. Just a poor ole country boy that loves this stuff. Its the thrill of the hunt.

It was easier back in the day...just find somebody who remembered where they were dumped in the river and recruit some high school kids for the adventure.

from The Selma Times-Journal
4 Nov 1938

Five years later the City of Selma organized a dredging operation to salvage cannon and heavy machinery dumped into the river by Confederates. The salvage was to be used for WWII scrap metal...

1564974171509.png

I will be right there when you go down and help you come up.:D
View attachment 319312

Thank you for the concern! As my grandmother has told me a lot, I tempt death with a smile too often. Of course I like to reply "Well he ain't got me yet! He's too busy getting everyone who does!" with the occasional, and very much like my father, "I'm to slick to get caught!"

Oh and yeah I bet you'd be excited to help me come up, with cannons down yonder and all. Be a shame for me to drown, but if I did Frank Sinatra's "My Way" better be playing with it written on the headstone "He went out like he lived, doing something he shouldn't have..."

I may not be professional, and WAY out of practice, but I'd go to the bottom faster than an anvil (my preferred metaphor might be a bit in bad taste) to try and recover some lost CW cannons.

But yeah foot on using scuba gear, lets use that method of diving! Working in a river with that might be easier and safer.

It was easier back in the day...just find somebody who remembered where they were dumped in the river and recruit some high school kids for the adventure.

from The Selma Times-Journal
4 Nov 1938

Five years later the City of Selma organized a dredging operation to salvage cannon and heavy machinery dumped into the river by Confederates. The salvage was to be used for WWII scrap metal...

View attachment 319324
They are still pulling stuff from the Alabama river at Selma.

Back