Filled a hole in the collection - Model 1852 Naval Officer Sword

bobinwmass

Sergeant
I've been looking for a decent 1852 naval officer sword and I think this is one of the most pristine I have ever seen, and by a relatively scarce maker to boot. It is made by the Gorham Manufacturing Company, founded in 1831, jewelers primarily known for their silver flatware and silver sets. They also made some high quality and presentation swords. Take a look at the detail in the casting of the hilt. It looks like they then did additional hand chasing on the dolphin scales, oak leaves, and acorns. I love the oversized rope ornaments and oversized dolphin drag on the scabbard. I've only seen a handful of Gorham made swords in my years of collecting, and I think they have typically been 1850 Staff & Field swords. I have never seen a Gorham navy. It looks like this sword may never have been sold, thus accounting for its fine condition. There is a blank panel on the blade where an owner's name would be etched. Like a lot of part-time sword makers during the Civil War, Gorham tended to use blades made by Collins & Company. I'm pleased to add this one to the sword wall. Hope you enjoy looking at it also.

20211001_153844.jpg

20211001_153929.jpg

20211001_153251.jpg

20211001_153747.jpg

20211001_153729.jpg

20211001_153709.jpg

20211001_153551.jpg

20211001_153528.jpg

20211001_153512.jpg

20211001_153424.jpg

Awesome Sword. Thanks for posting.

Really amazing condition. Can I ask how you came about owning that? I have a Navy M1852 but produced much later with the narrower blade. I bought it more for the scabbard which is marked Ames and is in beautiful condition. It is a scabbard for the wider blade model so clearly married at some later date with the sword. Now if I can only find an early wide blade sword. Thanks for showing.

Really amazing condition. Can I ask how you came about owning that? I have a Navy M1852 but produced much later with the narrower blade. I bought it more for the scabbard which is marked Ames and is in beautiful condition. It is a scabbard for the wider blade model so clearly married at some later date with the sword. Now if I can only find an early wide blade sword. Thanks for showing.
After weeks of looking at it on a dealer's website I finally gave in and bought it. Admittedly it was more than I had been planning to pay for one, but it's one I'll never have to upgrade. Good luck in your search for a sword to go with your scabbard.

A real beauty ! That blade !!! Any idea as to when it was made ? I bought one from a antique mall that they said it was from the Civil War for $140. It was a presentation sword . "Presented to John Dean Milligan by his mess mates of the USS Miantonomoh " I had my doubts that it ACW period but the price was right. It turned out to be a Span Am. war. I have pictures on John Milligan's 'Find a Grave " site. I think I read that the 1852 was made until WW1. Congrads to you !!

Superb. The felt bumper/washer the blade seats on lends it to be completely imported and etched in Providence. I'll revisit Peter Tuite's book but I am uncertain if he mentions the sword/blade source aside from being marked to Collins as well.

Very pretty
GC

A real beauty ! That blade !!! Any idea as to when it was made ? I bought one from a antique mall that they said it was from the Civil War for $140. It was a presentation sword . "Presented to John Dean Milligan by his mess mates of the USS Miantonomoh " I had my doubts that it ACW period but the price was right. It turned out to be a Span Am. war. I have pictures on John Milligan's 'Find a Grave " site. I think I read that the 1852 was made until WW1. Congrads to you !!
I believe it to be Civil War period but likely after 1862 as the Collins blade lacks the 1861 or 1862 date of their earliest war time blades. Collins is known to have made Model 1852 Naval Swords during the war, so would have had blades available. They are also known to have supplied blades alone to the Gorham company, and several others, during the war. In addition, the blade is the correct 1 and 1/8 inch wide at the hilt for a Civil War period sword. It is my understanding the blade dimensions lessened during the 1870's.

I believe it to be Civil War period but likely after 1862 as the Collins blade lacks the 1861 or 1862 date of their earliest war time blades. Collins is known to have made Model 1852 Naval Swords during the war, so would have had blades available. They are also known to have supplied blades alone to the Gorham company, and several others, during the war. In addition, the blade is the correct 1 and 1/8 inch wide at the hilt for a Civil War period sword. It is my understanding the blade dimensions lessened during the 1870's.
Mine has the thinner blade 1890's . Yours is a VERY solid blade . There was an model 1852 that sold for a little over $300.00 about 2 months ago that was a Span Am presentation sword tied to the Churchhill Downs clan in Kentucky. Kicking my butt now as I did not want to spend any money due to unknown surgery costs. Good news the surgery costs were low . Bad news I let the sword go. lol

I have seen several 1852 Navy swords without scabbards for sale on Ebay in the last few months. I have the reverse problem I have the sword but not the scabbard and it is much harder to find than the sword.

I've gone back to this post about 10 times just to take another look. Did the vendor have any info on where it came from?

I've gone back to this post about 10 times just to take another look. Did the vendor have any info on where it came from?
Truthfully, I didn't ask. I'm assuming that it came from an old collection that was sold off. Seems that is where a lot of the nicer items hitting the market now are coming from as we baby boomers get older and collections get put up for sale. No real bargain though, I paid an obscene amount, but had the money put aside for a rifle in the recent Rock Island auction. But what I thought was more than retail bid on that rifle was beat by someone else, so I decided to treat myself to a different nice item. Some of those auction prices are getting crazy!

Yeah, I can see my wife dumping my stuff when I assume room temperature and saying "I knew this wasn't worth what he thought it was." My real wish is that one of my kids take an interest. I wasn't that interested until a bit later in life.

Truthfully, I didn't ask. I'm assuming that it came from an old collection that was sold off. Seems that is where a lot of the nicer items hitting the market now are coming from as we baby boomers get older and collections get put up for sale. No real bargain though, I paid an obscene amount, but had the money put aside for a rifle in the recent Rock Island auction. But what I thought was more than retail bid on that rifle was beat by someone else, so I decided to treat myself to a different nice item. Some of those auction prices are getting crazy!
Only live once enjoy the sword !!

Yeah, I can see my wife dumping my stuff when I assume room temperature and saying "I knew this wasn't worth what he thought it was." My real wish is that one of my kids take an interest. I wasn't that interested until a bit later in life.
I like to think I'm done spending and face the same eventual fate. I have tried to set up friends to counsel my next of kin in the case of no interest within the family. I had already found a nephew to take a lot of the guitar collection and electronics gear. They have a clean out guy referenced and an auction house they could use. I have a single page document pinned to my bookshelf. When you're dead, you're dead and that's it :wink:

I'm trying to be good.

Cheers
GC

Back