The Peninsula Figures for the Seven Days Battles

66TH Indiana

Corporal
"It was not war, it was murder." D.H. Hill following the Battle of Malvern Hill.

Shiloh casualties - 23,741 killed,wounded,captured.
Seven Days - 36,463 total.

Union - 15,849 total
Confederate - 20,614

Union - 1,734 killed/ 8062 wounded
Confederate - 3,478 killed/ 16,261 wounded

Union missing in action - 6,053
Confederate mising in action - 875

Loss of combat strength after recovery of wounded
Union Army - 14,000
Confederate - 12,500

The Seven Days battles, Gaines Mill has to be one of my favorite battles to read about, from A.P. Hill's attack to Hood's Breakthrough, followed by Wilcox and Pickett's Brigades taking the union positions. A costly but great victory, Lee's first in the war, here a legend and battlefield genius was born.

The Seven Days battles, Gaines Mill has to be one of my favorite battles to read about, from A.P. Hill's attack to Hood's Breakthrough, followed by Wilcox and Pickett's Brigades taking the union positions. A costly but great victory, Lee's first in the war, here a legend and battlefield genius was born.
Mine too, obviously for Hood's famous charge across Boatswain's Swamp. Also many other particulars of the battle that no one ever talks about.

I also find Glendale especially interesting. Lee had a chance to strike a serious blow there, but things didn't go so well. It was also a very bloody battle - Micah Jenkins' charge, Wilcox's fight over Randol's Battery, lots of hand-to-hand combat.

The Seven Days battles could rival many of the larger, more well-known battles of the war - not just for number of casualties, but also for ferocity of the fighting. And the unforgettable stories - units actions, human interest stories, etc. - are also just as numerous.

Mine too, obviously for Hood's famous charge across Boatswain's Swamp. Also many other particulars of the battle that no one ever talks about.
I have visited the Gaines Mill battlefield and saw the point where Hood's men broke the Union line, many of the trees remain riddled with bullet holes. I also visited the points where Wilcox's Alabama Brigade and Pickett's Virginia Brigade broke through as well. I had a relative in the 56th Virginia of Pickett's Brigade at Gaines Mill and another in the 34th NC of Pender's Brigade, Joseph Martin, he was shot in his right forearm during the battle.

Another result of the Seven Days Battle was the ANV command changes :

Lee's Lieutenants :
The 2 Hill's ( AP , DH ) & Longstreet emerged from the Seven Days with brighter laurels then before.

The other 3 - Magruder, Holmes , Huger - bad luck & overexcitibility caused them to be sent elsewhere.
Magruder & Holmes transferred to the Trans-Mississippi. Huger "kicked upstairs" to the War Dept. as
chief inspector of artillery & ordnance.

Another result of the Seven Days Battle was the ANV command changes :

Lee's Lieutenants :
The 2 Hill's ( AP , DH ) & Longstreet emerged from the Seven Days with brighter laurels then before.

The other 3 - Magruder, Holmes , Huger - bad luck & overexcitibility caused them to be sent elsewhere.
Magruder & Holmes transferred to the Trans-Mississippi. Huger "kicked upstairs" to the War Dept. as
chief inspector of artillery & ordnance.

I was always under the impression that Magruder was a capable officer in a sense he saved Richmond before Lee ever had the chance to

Lee now regroups his Army's 9 divisions into two "wings" under Longstreet & Jackson.

Longstreet = 28 brigades
Jackson = 7 brigades
Jackson now in command of 1/2 as many as berfore.
Longstreet gains almost 5x as before.

Lee now regroups his Army's 9 divisions into two "wings" under Longstreet & Jackson.

Longstreet = 28 brigades
Jackson = 7 brigades
Jackson now in command of 1/2 as many as berfore.
Longstreet gains almost 5x as before.

Until A.P. Hill and Longstreet were nearly at the point of a duel, then Lee assigned the Light Division to Jackson. Jackson still held his independent command of the Valley until after Cedar Mountain.

Back