Fighting for the Union? Or against slavery?

Peace Society

Corporal
Some soldiers started out in the first category and ended up in the second. Thomas Francis Meagher was one.

He was rather pro-southern before the war, but felt that standing by the Union would benefit the Irish.
"I was not in favor of slavery, but was devoted to the Union; and that, as the Union involved...slavery..., I had to accept the latter to befriend and serve the former."
"At first, and for some time, this war was prosecuted with the single purpose of reinstating National authority."
However, "as the war went on, new developments occurred; and amongst these, the emancipation of the slaves in the Revolted states became a military necessity."
"Thus the inexorable logic of war compels the justice which fidelity to the Constitution solemnly withheld."
which "was not only in conflict with their humanity and conscience, but falsified the spirit, and neutralized the glory of [our] Republic."
Letters on Our National Struggle
Lloyd Publication Society of New York
In fact, Meagher became rampantly abolitionist when he compared the plight of the Negro to the plight of his own countrymen.

source: The Irish General
Paul R. Wylie
U of OK Press, Norman 2007

Some soldiers started out in the first category and ended up in the second. Thomas Francis Meagher was one.

He was rather pro-southern before the war, but felt that standing by the Union would benefit the Irish.
"I was not in favor of slavery, but was devoted to the Union; and that, as the Union involved...slavery..., I had to accept the latter to befriend and serve the former."
"At first, and for some time, this war was prosecuted with the single purpose of reinstating National authority."
However, "as the war went on, new developments occurred; and amongst these, the emancipation of the slaves in the Revolted states became a military necessity."
"Thus the inexorable logic of war compels the justice which fidelity to the Constitution solemnly withheld."
which "was not only in conflict with their humanity and conscience, but falsified the spirit, and neutralized the glory of [our] Republic."
Letters on Our National Struggle
Lloyd Publication Society of New York
In fact, Meagher became rampantly abolitionist when he compared the plight of the Negro to the plight of his own countrymen.

source: The Irish General
Paul R. Wylie
U of OK Press, Norman 2007

https://civilwartalk.com/threads/re...s-in-the-civil-war.129343/page-2#post-1461662