Fighting a war with no place to run....from dangerous weather.

missourian

Private
With all the dangerous weather situations we have had this spring here in Missouri and other places, I could not help but wonder where troops went or what did they do when faced with these dangerous weather conditions, tornadoes, severe thunderstorms etc etc? I mean it's not like there were any storm shelters to run to. For 4 years there were tens if not hundreds of thousands of troops in the field in all weather conditions at all times of the year, there must be written accounts of weather that directly affected either troop movements or the outcome of battles. Does anyone know of any such accounts either in messages between officers in the field or diaries or memoirs Etc? I have become very interested in knowing what took place, what armies did in times of very trying weather events. Any help you can lend with links or book titles Etc would be appreciated.
Thanks.

I've always found it interesting the number of times that accounts mention a torrential rainstorm taking place during a battle (Spottsylvania) or immediately after (Gettysburg). Some people thought that the cannon fire brought them on and in later years con artists would travel to drought affected areas with a cannon and try to convince the people to pay them to fire the cannon and bring rain.

I have read quite a few accounts written in letters home from Troopers of the 2nd Regiment Alabama Cavalry, as well as in their journals, who spoke of men of their company and regiment being struck by lightning and killed regarding inclement weather that would just arise from no-where sending the company or regiment suddenly running for cover under a grove of old growth Oak trees or under a pine grove for cover to wait out the storm. When they were in the Florida Panhandle and in Northern and Central Mississippi from 1862 - 1864, there were quite a few accounts written about. In one case one of the soldiers reached up to grab a tree limb and as soon as he did the tree was struck by lightning and it traveled through him and the horse and exited the horse and went through several other horses near him knocking them all out, as well as several Troopers who were on them, some were out cold for quite a long time.

In Atlanta they had to deal with many torrential downpours, some lasting as long as a week, with some even lasting for two weeks straight like during the fighting at New Hope Church, Marrietta and Kennesaw Mountain. Men were writing in their journal`s complaining that they were water logged having to sleep in the trenches for days on end, or for those with tents they complained of flooding throughout the camp with the water rising well over the wood floors of the tents and ruining everything inside. They would make comments stating that neither man nor beast could walk down the road without sinking up to their necks in mud. Most of the Cavalry Troopers had become accustomed to getting caught in these bad storms, both electrical and torrential down pours and often would take a couple of rails down from some ones fence and lay them down next to each other in the center of the road so that they would have a hard surface to lay on. Then they would lay their head on their saddle or saddle bags and with the horse reigns in their hand would get in an hour or two of what they termed: "the sleep of the just". Unless they were going to be in the same location for more than a night they would never use tents but rather spread their saddle blanket on the ground beneath them and sleep out in the elements. On extremely long patrols and scouts that covered numerous miles a day, many would just sleep in the saddle as the horse moved along, sometimes being suddenly woken to the cracking of gunfire and finding themselves in the middle of a skirmish.

They would complain of sometimes being wet for days but continued to patrol and scout enemy positions to gather troop strength and enemy movement and report it back to the field commanders. It was the same when they were on guard, picket or vidette duty, which was typically a 24 or 48 hour duty, and when a rain or electrical storm came up they had no choice but to stand their post. They would have their rubber blanket or poncho, which for the most part would keep them relatively dry. One of the men of the 2nd Alabama Cavalry stated in a letter home that wearing his rubber blanket was like wearing a tent and would serve the same purpose as far as keeping him dry in the terrible storms that would suddenly come up from time to time. The rubber blanket was a thick piece of canvas with one side treated with Indian rubber to water proof it.

Last edited:
On a more contemporary note... I remember the one month postponement of the 140th Gettysburg reenactment in 2003, due to unusually heavy rains. Didn't dampen the spirits of those who managed to make it, though...

I have read quite a few accounts written in letters home from Troopers of the 2nd Regiment Alabama Cavalry, as well as in their journals, who spoke of men of their company and regiment being struck by lightning and killed regarding inclement weather that would just arise from no-where sending the company or regiment suddenly running for cover under a grove of old growth Oak trees or under a pine grove for cover to wait out the storm. When they were in the Florida Panhandle and in Northern and Central Mississippi from 1862 - 1864, there were quite a few accounts written about. In one case one of the soldiers reached up to grab a tree limb and as soon as he did the tree was struck by lightning and it traveled through him and the horse and exited the horse and went through several other horses near him knocking them all out, as well as several Troopers who were on them, some were out cold for quite a long time.

In Atlanta they had to deal with many torrential downpours, some lasting as long as a week, with some even lasting for two weeks straight like during the fighting at New Hope Church, Marrietta and Kennesaw Mountain. Men were writing in their journal`s complaining that they were water logged having to sleep in the trenches for days on end, or for those with tents they complained of flooding throughout the camp with the water rising well over the wood floors of the tents and ruining everything inside. They would make comments stating that neither man nor beast could walk down the road without sinking up to their necks in mud. Most of the Cavalry Troopers had become accustomed to getting caught in these bad storms, both electrical and torrential down pours and often would take a couple of rails down from some ones fence and lay them down next to each other in the center of the road so that they would have a hard surface to lay on. Then they would lay their head on their saddle or saddle bags and with the horse reigns in their hand would get in an hour or two of what they termed: "the sleep of the just". Unless they were going to be in the same location for more than a night they would never use tents but rather spread their saddle blanket on the ground beneath them and sleep out in the elements. On extremely long patrols and scouts that covered numerous miles a day, many would just sleep in the saddle as the horse moved along, sometimes being suddenly woken to the cracking of gunfire and finding themselves in the middle of a skirmish.

They would complain of sometimes being wet for days but continued to patrol and scout enemy positions to gather troop strength and enemy movement and report it back to the field commanders. It was the same when they were on guard, picket or vidette duty, which was typically a 24 or 48 hour duty, and when a rain or electrical storm came up they had no choice but to stand their post. They would have their rubber blanket or poncho, which for the most part would keep them relatively dry. One of the men of the 2nd Alabama Cavalry stated in a letter home that wearing his rubber blanket was like wearing a tent and would serve the same purpose as far as keeping him dry in the terrible storms that would suddenly come up from time to time. The rubber blanket was a thick piece of canvas with one side treated with Indian rubber to water proof it.
I am always amazed at what troops had to endure, and did. Thanks for that. If you have a link to where I could access that material I'd appreciate seeing it.

missourian, the information which I referenced above came from a few different sources. The story regarding the lightning storm was from the journal of Pvt. Edwin Hart Robinson (1845 - 1932), "H" Troop, 2nd Regiment Alabama Cavalry, which currently belongs to a private collector. In his journal Pvt. Robinson is recanting the death of 1st Lt. Nick W. Lovell, "C" Troop, 2nd Regiment Alabama Cavalry who was killed by lightning on 28 Apr 1863 near Okolona, Ms. This after he and a few of the captains of other troops were coming in from a long scout when the storm suddenly overtook them and they ran for cover. The remains of 1st Lt. Nick W. Lovell were returned home to Tuscaloosa, Alabama where he was laid to rest at Evergreen Cemetery. Pvt. Robinson was not only a witness but also one of the victims, both he and his horse were also struck, knocking them both to the ground for several minutes before getting back to their feet.

Regarding the thunderstorms which arose while the men were on guard, picket and vidette duty, the rubber blanket, the extreme flooding around camp, and the men sleeping in their saddles on long scouts, that came from numerous letters written home by Pvt. Hardin P. Cochrane, "D" Troop, 2nd Regiment Alabama Cavalry, who later became the Sgt. Major of the regiment. He has some very fascinating letters which are beyond informative, in revealing much of the fighting, as well as camp life and oddities that he took note of around camp; such as men committing suicide, trees literally blowing up as they would be struck by lightning, flooding in camp, holding raffles at camp after being paid, deafening loud lightning strikes hitting things in and around camp, horses snoring while laying down and so much more. His letters are archived with the Alabama Department of History and Archives at Montgomery. But you will have to travel there to see the collection in person.

Other information came from letter`s written home by, Pvt. Samuel D. Cameron, "D" Troop and Pvt. Robert Wardroper, "B" Troop, 2nd Regiment Alabama Cavalry which are also at the Alabama Department of History and Archives. Other information came from the memoirs and journal of Brig. General Samuel Wragg Ferguson, under whom the 2nd Regiment Alabama Cavalry was assigned as part of his cavalry brigade from 27 Aug 1863 - 5 May 1865. He reveals a lot of information about how cavalry patrols, scouts, skirmishing, fighting and other aspects of the war affected his cavalry brigade, as well as them being kept out in inclement weather and torrential downpours for days on end, where they would suddenly be caught in violent thunderstorms, sleeping on fence rails in the middle of the road, losing upwards of 300 horses with lung fever contracted on a long treacherous march in west Tennessee, with some of his men dying from pneumonia after pushing them too hard in the cold winter weather, the horses feet becoming balled from riding them in the snow for too long, having to pull Troopers off of their horses half frozen because the rain which penetrated and froze on their cotton clothing had turned to ice in the high winds and below freezing temperatures, while almost freezing them in the process with numbed hands so bad that his men could not fight nor load their weapons, with many getting frostbite in their fingers and toes as a result... and so much more. The Mississippi Department of History and Archives have his collection, which can be visited at Jackson, Ms. Some are also digitized at a few of the larger and more prominent Universities where you can browse them if you can not make it to Jackson.

Pvt. Hardin P. Cochrane, wrote a three page letter home on 21 Jul 1862, from Bluff Springs, Florida in the Panhandle, where he wrote at length about a terrifying thunder and lightning storm and the damage for which it was responsible, that resulted in men and horses being killed in and around camp, noting how the lightning was selective and would almost pick and choose which would be its victims out of a group of men sleeping in a tent very close to one another, with the lightning only entering certain ones and leaving the others uninjured. And in some cases leaving one and entering dozens more in the immediate vicinity where numerous were killed or severely injured. As soon as I transcribe it I will post it here for you to read. It is very interesting.

Last edited:
missourian, the information which I referenced above came from a few different sources. The story regarding the lightning storm was from the journal of Pvt. Edwin Hart Robinson (1845 - 1932), "H" Troop, 2nd Regiment Alabama Cavalry, which currently belongs to a private collector. In his journal Pvt. Robinson is recanting the death of 1st Lt. Nick W. Lovell, "C" Troop, 2nd Regiment Alabama Cavalry who was killed by lightning on 28 Apr 1863 near Okolona, Ms. This after he and a few of the captains of other troops were coming in from a long scout when the storm suddenly overtook them and they ran for cover. The remains of 1st Lt. Nick W. Lovell were returned home to Tuscaloosa, Alabama where he was laid to rest at Evergreen Cemetery. Pvt. Robinson was not only a witness but also one of the victims, both he and his horse were also struck, knocking them both to the ground for several minutes before getting back to their feet.

Regarding the thunderstorms which arose while the men were on guard, picket and vidette duty, the rubber blanket, the extreme flooding around camp, and the men sleeping in their saddles on long scouts, that came from numerous letters written home by Pvt. Hardin P. Cochrane, "D" Troop, 2nd Regiment Alabama Cavalry, who later became the Sgt. Major of the regiment. He has some very fascinating letters which are beyond informative, in revealing much of the fighting, as well as camp life and oddities that he took note of around camp; such as men committing suicide, trees literally blowing up as they would be struck by lightning, flooding in camp, holding raffles at camp after being paid, deafening loud lightning strikes hitting things in and around camp, horses snoring while laying down and so much more. His letters are archived with the Alabama Department of History and Archives at Montgomery. But you will have to travel there to see the collection in person.

Other information came from letter`s written home by, Pvt. Samuel D. Cameron, "D" Troop and Pvt. Robert Wardroper, "B" Troop, 2nd Regiment Alabama Cavalry which are also at the Alabama Department of History and Archives. Other information came from the memoirs and journal of Brig. General Samuel Wragg Ferguson, under whom the 2nd Regiment Alabama Cavalry was assigned as part of his cavalry brigade from 27 Aug 1863 - 5 May 1865. He reveals a lot of information about how cavalry patrols, scouts, skirmishing, fighting and other aspects of the war affected his cavalry brigade, as well as them being kept out in inclement weather and torrential downpours for days on end, where they would suddenly be caught in violent thunderstorms, sleeping on fence rails in the middle of the road, losing upwards of 300 horses with lung fever contracted on a long treacherous march in west Tennessee, with some of his men dying from pneumonia after pushing them too hard in the cold winter weather, the horses feet becoming balled from riding them in the snow for too long, having to pull Troopers off of their horses half frozen because the rain which penetrated and froze on their cotton clothing had turned to ice in the high winds and below freezing temperatures, while almost freezing them in the process with numbed hands so bad that his men could not fight nor load their weapons, with many getting frostbite in their fingers and toes as a result... and so much more. The Mississippi Department of History and Archives have his collection, which can be visited at Jackson, Ms. Some are also digitized at a few of the larger and more prominent Universities where you can browse them if you can not make it to Jackson.

Pvt. Hardin P. Cochrane, wrote a three page letter home on 21 Jul 1862, from Bluff Springs, Florida in the Panhandle, where he wrote at length about a terrifying thunder and lightning storm and the damage for which it was responsible, that resulted in men and horses being killed in and around camp, noting how the lightning was selective and would almost pick and choose which would be its victims out of a group of men sleeping in a tent very close to one another, with the lightning only entering certain ones and leaving the others uninjured. And in some cases leaving one and entering dozens more in the immediate vicinity where numerous were killed or severely injured. As soon as I transcribe it I will post it here for you to read. It is very interesting.
That would be great, thanks a bunch.

I've wondered about this, too. In his 1863 raid, Shelby camped hundreds of troopers on the lawn of Ravenswood House during a miserable all night rain. But what about hail storms, etc.? I am sure soldiers sought refuge in barns or even hay ricks when they could find them, but what about other times? It had to be awful.

21 Jul 1862:

Pvt. Hardin P. Cochrane ("D" Troop), 2nd Regiment Alabama Cavalry writes home about a severe thunderstorm that wreaked havoc on the entire regiment, at their camp at Bluff Springs, Florida (Camp Lee), resulting in lightning killing one and hurting many others:

"We had the most tremendous thunderstorm last night, that I ever saw. I never was so much afraid of being killed by trees. We are encamped in pine woods and they are noted for being easily blown up. I sat up some time in my tent looking out at the lightning and rain, then I laid down and very soon there came the loudest thunder clap I ever heard and at the same time I heard some bushes fall just behind our tent, which I thought was the limbs of a tree. It was raining too hard to go out unless there really was a tree falling, so I sat up and looked out and very soon there was another thunder clap about as loud as the other.

These two were the remarkable ones. The other thunder was severe enough but I have heard a good many men say they never heard such thunder as those two. I feel a little dull in my head now like I have had a jar (whiskey). The lightning was striking trees all through our encampment. I think it must have struck a dozen times in about the space of 300 yards long and 300 broad. It seems almost a miracle some in our company were not killed. In the second tent from mine, in (Pvt. Alex R.) Montgomery`s tent, the lightning struck the side of the tent and cut into the ground without hurting anyone, although Montgomery and almost all his mess was in there.

I never saw horses so much frightened before. There was one horse near our tent which was so much frightened that he ran around the tree he was hitched to and neighed every time it thundered loud. I hear this morning that several horses in the regiment neighed out of fear too. It would be a fine piece to act on the stage (theatre) to have thunder and lightning and horses running about like they were wild but the reality is not very pleasant. The lightning was so vivid that you could see almost all of the time.

Willie Inge and Walter Guild were on guard last night, there is a large pine tree by the guard tent and willie said he went away from it and stood with his blanket in an opening. Walter did not get wet either because he had on his blanket. You have no idea how useful a (rubber) blanket is in rainy weather. It is nearly as good as a tent if you stand up.

One of the worst accidents happened in Captain (Thomas R.) Stacey`s Company ("K"). The lightning struck a large pine tree in his encampment and killed one man, nearly killed two more and hurt about a dozen more. It also knocked down 3 horses and one of them has not got up yet and may die from it. The tree that was struck was right by a tent and I don`t believe it hurt a man in it, but skipped two tents and killed the man in the third. The man was lying down and a man was on each side of him and the middle man was killed while the other two were only hurt. The horse which is hurt the most was the farthest horse from the tree of those hurt. It seems peculiar it did not kill some in the tent at the foot of the tree. I believe it shocked them. There was a boy who was lying on a plank with an India rubber valise under him and the lightning split the plank under his head (or right by it) and burst his canteen without killing him, it scorched the skin off of his shoulder and side. It seemed to me like the greater part of (Capt.) Stacey`s Company were injured but I suppose there were no more than a dozen hurt. A good many were shocked. The men did not pour water on the dead man for he was cold when I got there. The Doctor said it would be no use for when a man was shocked to death his bones were shattered.

Everything is quiet this morning, we have to police our encampment and to move our tents a little father apart."

The trooper who was struck by lightning and killed while lying down in his tent was Pvt. Samuel W. Williams ("K" Troop), 2nd Regiment Alabama Cavalry. He was killed about 2 am in the morning. He was 28 years of age and had only been in the C. S. Army and serving with the regiment since joining three months earlier at Camp Stone, Montgomery, Alabama on 15 Apr 1862. He had only been with the regiment in Florida for about a month, as Capt. Stacey`s K-Troop was one of the last companies to have formed of the 2nd Regiment Alabama Cavalry and ordered to the Florida Panhandle.

Below is one of the Confederate service cards in the OR for Pvt. Samuel W. Williams, "K" Troop, 2nd Regiment Alabama Cavalry, stating that he was killed by lightning on 21 Jul 1862, which validates the account as given by Pvt. Hardin P. Cochrane above in his letter home:

Killed Company B (15) killed by lightning Company K July 1862.jpg

Last edited:
Back