Sherman Fierce Patriot by Robert L. O'Connell

WJC

Major General
Judge Adv. Genl.
Thread Medic
Answered the Call for Reinforcements
A friend has recommended Robert L. Oconnell, Fierce Patriot: The Tangled Lives of William Tecumseh Sherman. (New York: Random House, 2015).
Has anyone here read this book? Any thoughts on it?
What is your favorite Sherman book?

I read this, and was really disappointed with it. Instead of a biography, it seemed to be a rather half-as*ed attempt to psychoanalyze this very complex man. You might like it, but I wouldn't buy it if you can find it at a library or on a remainder shelf.

If I were to read only one biography on Sherman, it would be John Marszalek:

41lVG4tBatL._SX330_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

I agree with @Bee that Marszalek is the best Sherman bio. I also enjoyed Citizen Sherman by Fellman. I just finished Fierce Patriot. I did not particularly care for the book, especially in comparison to the others, although I thought the author made some interesting observations. I found the second part of the book about the development of the "Army of the West" to be an interesting essay that wasn't developed as fully as I would have liked.

The best Sherman biography I have read is the one by James Lee McDonough. I read it within a couple of weeks of its release. It's very well written and covers all aspects of Sherman's life. Easy to read and enjoyable.
I have not read Fierce Patriot, but I have heard a few criticisms. It covers Sherman's life in three separate themes or segments and unfortunately leads to the author retreading many things that happened in the other sections. It is also not that long, which given the life of Sherman, is disappointing.

Last edited:
Thanks for your response, everyone! I now have some better choices. I read Sherman's memoirs some time ago; it seems a good time to read a good biography of the man.

Back