Book Review Fields of Blood: The Prairie Grove Campaign

Fewer ads. Lots of American Civil War content!
JOIN NOW:REGISTER HERE!

Rusk County Avengers

First Sergeant
Forum Host
I just read the first chapter and so far it's great. I never knew anything about General Hindman and the others and glad the author covers well on the generals and soldiers on both sides; North and South. General Hindman was the opposite of General Holmes so I'm curious to know how this goes. General Hindman was very zealous and worked tirelessly building the Confederate Army in the West even though his statements and speeches ended up with division between the citizens of Arkansas but I admire him for what he believed and on what all he tried to do for the Southern Confederacy at this time.

I'm new on learning the Western Theater. The only books I've read on Campaigns/Battles; are Shiloh by Larry Daniel and the two books by Cozzens on Chickamauga and Chattanooga. I knew that the Confederates in the West were poorly armed, badly equipped, lack of uniforms and gear and poorly fed compared to the Confederates in the East but reading this book so far, I did not know it was this bad.
Hindman's efforts to get Arkansas operating again, trying to end corruption in supplying the troops would make a book all on its own. He really ticked off some folks, and thrilled others, there was no in-between with him it seems like.

Joshism

Sergeant Major
I knew that the Confederates in the West were poorly armed, badly equipped, lack of uniforms and gear and poorly fed compared to the Confederates in the East but reading this book so far, I did not know it was this bad.
The Trans-Mississippi usually got the short stick, even compared to the Western theater (MS River to GA).