Field Testing New Relic Hunting App Caught on Satellite

UCVRelics

Brevet Brigadier General
Forum Host
Gold Patron
Regtl. Quartermaster Shiloh 2020
Asst. Regtl. Quartermaster Antietam 2021
Regtl. Quartermaster Stones River / Franklin 2022
Ive been field test a new relic hunting app in my CS camp that lets me log all my steps and patterns and lets me log my finds. When I was downloading the app on a google map overlay which is how the app works, I noticed so objects in the field and when I blew the photo up low and behold it was me, my trust hunting partner Buffet and my jeep. This app is fantastic and is a big help in plotting this camp. I guess Big Brother is truly watching:cold:
in-the-field.jpg
relicmap.jpg

The app overlays on the google map but the one thing that I found was the plot lines in the app were to small for a man with my advanced eyes so I highlighted the lines so I could SEE THEM on my phone which is smarter than I am.:D

Really interesting. Is there anything to be learned from this about how the camp was laid out? Based on what you find where? Like where the tents were vs open space? Assuming you haven't yet searched that center section?

They didn't have tents, when they got here from Vicksburg all they had were the cloths on their backs. The stars are what I believe were hut sites as I found CS button, bullets and other items. I have dug several hut sites and the artifacts, square nails, broken glass, plates and brick pieces are the dead give away. They were here for 7 months and built huts and the locals feed and gave them clothing until they were refurbed by the CS Army. They spent the winter here and R&Red and were issued new uniforms, weapons etc and left in March of 64 to joining the CS Army in North Georgia.

Ive been field test a new relic hunting app in my CS camp that lets me log all my steps and patterns and lets me log my finds. When I was downloading the app on a google map overlay which is how the app works, I noticed so objects in the field and when I blew the photo up low and behold it was me, my trust hunting partner Buffet and my jeep. This app is fantastic and is a big help in plotting this camp. I guess Big Brother is truly watching:cold:
View attachment 178036 View attachment 178037
What is the significance of the colors?

What is the significance of the colors?

The long green line is what I believe is the boundary of the camp as I found nothing on the other side and I think the privies are located there. The 2 red star are where I have dug hut site and fire pits and the blue ones are huts sites I haven't dug yet but have located. The blue square is a building that was a pretty good size.

I would also be interested in the uniformity of the camp, viz a command structure in terms of the layout. I know that as late as '64 the Marylander's winter camp at Hanover Junction was very regimented, per maps drawn of the camp by soldiers of the command. I would expect the early war camps to be highly regimented, as the new officer corps were struggling with their manuals on how to deal with troops, on the parade ground, in camp and during drill. I was wondering if that continued throughout the war?

That's really cool. I like seeing how mapping has become available to the average person too. Back when I was doing that sort of thing for a living creating what you've got immediately available would have been a chore and have required serious software and hardware.

I guess to clarify will/does your camp look similar to this:

View attachment 178084
Fascinating image! Thanks for sharing it. That's what I was getting at with my question. Unfortunately I didnt make it entirely clear. I was wondering the same thing - if ucvrleics has been able to determine any info about the layout from the finds.

I guess to clarify will/does your camp look similar to this:

That's what I was getting at with my question

This is one of 5 different camps on the property. They are situated on the springs that are there. There is no military order to these camps. The CS troops that were here were paroled at Vicksburg and wondered here. It took some of them 30 plus days to get here. When they did the just built huts and built mess areas and settled in for the winter. I have dug many camps that were dress right dress but this aint one of them.

The tech we can carry in our hunting vest is truly amazing. But I will say the thing that would concern me is that the developer of the app would have direct gps coordinates of every site you visited along with what you found (if entered) and when you were there etc. But it is very cool!

The long green line is what I believe is the boundary of the camp as I found nothing on the other side and I think the privies are located there. The 2 red star are where I have dug hut site and fire pits and the blue ones are huts sites I haven't dug yet but have located. The blue square is a building that was a pretty good size.
curious if the blue square is a large building, what's the even larger green rectangle near the river?

Back