Field Pharmacy, Gen. Thomas' Headquarters.

Mike Serpa

Major
530350a.jpg

Field Pharmacy, Gen. Thomas' Headquarters - NA 530350a

530360a.jpg

Gen. Thomas, Wagon Headquarters (Field Pharmacy) - NA 530360a

Gen Thomas Office Wagon .JPG

Look familiar? Gotta admit, when I captured this image of General Thomas' HQ wagon I didn't not note which museum it is in. I know better now...
Thomas also supervised the development of a specially equipped wagon for his topographical engineers. The description fits the pharmacy wagon in the photo exactly. Thomas' efforts made the topographical organization the most sophisticated mapmaking department of any army in the world, at that time.

Last edited:
Don't you love knowing who is actually in the photo? Of course the Liljenquist Family would be responsible for giving it to all of us! There are more and more ' pay per use ' photo sites out there, where you find more than a few images from public access sources watermarked. The Liljenquist family's commitment to sharing history always makes me smile.

Has to be a tough job identifying a lot of these, if that's your job in LoC, etc. There are just so MANY, how does anyone without a crazy specific background in just say, ships, get them all right?

20180411_122816.jpg

I've seen this listed as a field pharmacy too- doesn't it look more like an ' office'? Can't find bottles, etc. Grgrandfather was an Army doc- we have old bottles, morters, pestles- tins, scales- it should maybe be a little more ' busy '?
Here are photos of the mock-up pharmacy wagon at the Medical Museum of the Civil War in Frederick, Maryland:

DSC05729.JPG

Whoa! Thanks for the photos! Well that sure blows the heck out of the argument I made about the wagon not being a pharmacy- that's a tidier presentation of pharmaceuticals than what I saw at CVS last week! And I think we have a few of those bottles plus two of those heavy, white bowls- one pestle. Until we retired them to the hutch I remember my mother using them to crush garlic.... .

Back