Field of Lost Shoes

Has anyone else heard about the Battle of New Market before?? I'm watching a movie right now about the battle and its incredible!! It about VMI and the cadets roll in the battle.

(Membership has it privileges! To remove this ad: Register NOW!)

hoosier

1st Lieutenant
Forum Host
Yes, Rebelgirl, I've visited the site. The battlefield and the associated Hall of Valor museum are worth a visit from anyone interested in the Civil War.

Just remember, if you go there in the spring, be prepared to walk on some pretty soggy ground. They didn't call it the Field of Lost Shoes for nothing.

gary

Captain
VMI gets a lot of credit for that battle. The Citadel cadets fought in more battles (predominantly Trevellian (sp) Station) but receives a lot less credit and you can guess the rivalry between the two.

The name of the movie is Field of Lost Shoes: The Battle of New Market. We received the movie with some information about the school, I'm not sure if it available to the general public, I'll have to ask my dad.

Actually George, I am planning on going back to VMI this May and taking a tour of the school and participate in the New Market Reenactment.

After talking with my dad, he said to contact Colonel Keith Gibson,the history director at VMI, if you would like a copy of the movie. The movie is a Living in Virginia Special and was put on by WVPT. If you would like to talk to Colonel Gibson his e-mail address is gibsonke@mail.vmi.edu, or you can call him at (540)460-0242.