Field of Farnsworth's Charge

infomanpa

1st Lieutenant
I walked out into the area where General Farnsworth made his fatal charge. I am facing north. In front, you can see the Slyder farm. Behind me is Bushman Hill.
20200808_172640.jpg

Thank you for posting the picture - what a waste of a life -

“Farnsworth spoke with emotion: “General, do you mean it? Shall I throw my handful of men over rough ground, through timber, against a brigade of infantry? The First Vermont has already been fought half to pieces; these are too good men to kill.” Kilpatrick said “Do you refuse to obey my orders? If you are afraid to lead this charge, I will lead it.” Farnsworth rose in his stirrups — he looked magnificent in his passion — and cried , “Take that back!” Kilpatrick returned his defiance, but soon repenting, said “I did not mean it; forget it.” For a moment there was silence, when Farnsworth spoke calmly, “General, if you order the charge, I will lead it, but you must take the responsibility.” {*}

What responsibility did Kilpatrick ever assume?

Farnsworth's_Charge.jpg

(Public Domain)

{*} https://ironbrigader.com/2010/10/04/death-general-elon-j-farnsworth-gettysburg/

“Farnsworth spoke with emotion: “General, do you mean it? Shall I throw my handful of men over rough ground, through timber, against a brigade of infantry? The First Vermont has already been fought half to pieces; these are too good men to kill.” Kilpatrick said “Do you refuse to obey my orders? If you are afraid to lead this charge, I will lead it.” Farnsworth rose in his stirrups — he looked magnificent in his passion — and cried , “Take that back!” Kilpatrick returned his defiance, but soon repenting, said “I did not mean it; forget it.” For a moment there was silence, when Farnsworth spoke calmly, “General, if you order the charge, I will lead it, but you must take the responsibility.” {*}

View attachment 370745
(Public Domain)

{*} https://ironbrigader.com/2010/10/04/death-general-elon-j-farnsworth-gettysburg/

None whatsoever. He was one of Pleasonton's boys, and Alf protected him. Not to mention that victory forgives a lot of errors.

Back in 2016, Eric was kind enough to take me to the location of Farnsworth’s monument. I had not found it previously. Standing at the location he fell gave me a real since of the hopelessness of the charge.

There is a Farnsworth monument? Maybe you are thinking of the 1st Vermont Cavalry or the Wells monument?

Incompetence is a word that comes to my mind when I read of Judson Kilpatrick. He was a combative individual who constantly self-promoted himself to reach the high levels of command, both in a military and political realm, that his egotism demanded. He always had the air of corruption and seediness about him and his entourage and was negligent in caring for his men and horses. I care little for the man.
Regards
David

Incompetence is a word that comes to my mind when I read of Judson Kilpatrick. He was a combative individual who constantly self-promoted himself to reach the high levels of command, both in a military and political realm, that his egotism demanded. He always had the air of corruption and seediness about him and his entourage and was negligent in caring for his men and horses. I care little for the man.
Regards
David
No wonder his nickname was "Kill Cavalry."

Regards
David
You hit the nail on the head and prove at the same time the old saying that " acorns don't fall from the tree". i.e. Gloria and Anderson.

View attachment 370745
(Public Domain)

Farnsworth = Pyotr Rostov. Tolstoy covered it. The reality of war.

Regards
David
Incompetence does seem to be an adequate explanation. Allowing every military decision to become a personal contest of wills may have been part of it. The administration and the press criticizing the cavalry for lack of aggressiveness was part of it.
Being able to say "No" is an important military skill. Being able to exract all the units and conduct an orderly retreat may have been an element of success.

Incompetence does seem to be an adequate explanation. Allowing every military decision to become a personal contest of wills may have been part of it. The administration and the press criticizing the cavalry for lack of aggressiveness was part of it.
Agree with your train of thought. IMHO even more impressive is a military skill that does not condemn a decision, but offers a viable alternative in a "tactful tactical" way to be accepted by a superior.

Agree with your train of thought. IMHO even more impressive is a military skill that does not condemn a decision, but offers a viable alternative in a "tactful tactical" way to be accepted by a superior.
At some point a junior officer might have to tell the commanding general, if you don't want a hanging contest between Mosby's irregulars and the US cavalry, and you don't want residences burned, then maybe the US cavalry should be withdrawn from the upper Shenandoah Valley and used to fight regular uniformed Confederates. Maybe that will be the way to end the war, the junior officer commanding the cavalry might explain it to the commanding general. But I am guessing.

Last edited:
Back