Fictional Impressions: "Man with NO Name" Thoughts?

Someone mentioned it being the 'worst idea they had heard'...that one actually made me laugh as I've had far worse ideas :smile: I figured a CW reenactment might be a questionable avenue for this particular impression, but that is why I posted the question. I honestly hadn't considered Western-themed reenactments as another possible avenue to consider as an option. So I do appreciate the advice and suggestion.

And the mention of Darth Vadar and Indiana Jones...I haven't been to a Cosplay convention, but I have attended multiple Renaissance Festivals (which is a culture all unto its own). Though Vadar Indiana didn't show.At the end of the day, I honestly do appreciate everyone's incites and responses to my questions. If you don't ask the questions you can't really learn.

And just out of curiosity how does someone 'become' a Grant, Lee, Longstreet etc ? I never really understood how that exactly worked?

So again to all that responded thank you.

And just out of curiosity how does someone 'become' a Grant, Lee, Longstreet etc ? I never really understood how that exactly worked?

Their basically actors, bad ones just dress up in whatever "looks" like they were wearing in one picture, decent/good ones actually put a lot of time and research into it to get the clothing/appearance as close as possible, and act and talk as closely to how the real historical figure did, they do a lot of research. Like what's been said of them before, you got to get approval from an event before showing up as someone like that. I understand you want to a fictional impression of someone at a CW event, but CW events, (except some here in Texas), focus on non-fiction.

I think you'd like this better, not a Western reenactment, this was at a film set South of Austin last spring. Impressions like what your after would probably be more welcome out there than at CW events

20180303_104913.jpg

20180303_104855.jpg

20180303_104751.jpg

To answer the last part of your question there are Grant and Lee and other famous character impersonators who are experts in their portrayal and are usually invited to events to do so. Generally they have no authority in actually commanding the actual troops. The actual officers are usually voted on in their respective groups and are experienced and respected members of their group.

Arch Stanton....well not quite ready to be in a pine box, but enjoy the levity nonetheless. I see what's being said about Western towns and specialty types of reenactments. This discussion is really helping open up a whole range of options that I would have otherwise been largely unexposed and or unaware of.

And that's really quite interesting on how really 'anyone' could essentially portray a Grant or Lee known figure. I presumed that local unit commanding officers were voted in by their respective units, but always wondered about the top Brass so to speak.

"Man with No Name" impression at a CW event.....
I strongly recommend you change your course, for what you want CW isn't what you want. Here in Texas we got folks who've come into CW reenactments with this exact attitude, and they are EXTREMLY hated, with most leaving, straightening they're act up, or hanging around to the constant chagrin of CW reenactors. Trust me you'd be WAY happier, and maybe fulfilled at a Western reenactment with the mindset you have.
But either way good luck.

This times eleventybillion. You are spot on with yahoos like this showing up *all the time*.

Hey guys, while I agree with you all 100% lets be careful not to jump all over the OP. Let's give him the benefit of the doubt that he simply didn't know better. He asked a question and got it answered. I'd surely hate to discourage him from getting into the hobby the right way. Thanks for your responses.

Fair question, yeas I share his height and hit the 6ft 4' marker with no problems and have a lean albeit muscular build. So yes I have that aspect of the impression down. And I wouldn't let this discussion steer me away from reenacting as a hobby as a whole. Just means I have to continue building up my gear for a proper CW impression. So if my Eastwood idea isn't really the proper means of experiencing and participating in a CW reenactment than I'll pursue the route most appropriate. So no harm no foul, but I still wanted to pose the question and gain the valuable incite of those actively involved in the hobby.

Hey guys, while I agree with you all 100% lets be careful not to jump all over the OP. Let's give him the benefit of the doubt that he simply didn't know better. He asked a question and got it answered. I'd surely hate to discourage him from getting into the hobby the right way. Thanks for your responses.
YES! I agree completely that our new friend should be encouraged, but also guided. It's no secret that I'm not big on reenactments, but some of my hobbies would probably leave lots of other people cold, so who am I to judge? I agree with those who think it should be done right or not at all. Our new friend is seeking opinion but there's no reason to throw cold water on him.

YES! I agree completely that our new friend should be encouraged, but also guided. It's no secret that I'm not big on reenactments, but some of my hobbies would probably leave lots of other people cold, so who am I to judge? I agree with those who think it should be done right or not at all. Our new friend is seeking opinion but there's no reason to throw cold water on him.
I dont reenact, do attend some, its entertainment just as "Hollywood" when I go I dont really think the majority of CW soldiers were 30+ or under 18.....which seems to be the look they try to portray...….as far as accuracy most spectators dont really care if one is wearing pattern 1854 or a pattern 1860 whatever...……..its just a fun afternoon visiting sutlers and watching a battle 'skit" and usually some decent food around

Its always funny to me when some of the ones obsessing over "accuracy" never seem to consider perhaps I'm too old now or overweight, to accurately portray a CW soldier..…..if accuracy is indeed a goal

I think if he has interest he should try to contact some units. Perhaps some will work with him, or not. But least he tried to pursue something he has interest in.

Last edited:
Just doesn't cut it for Civil War. Sorry
Old overweight re-enactors? I agree, personally my favorite was one where Toyota pickups towed the artillery into position...….Best to keep in mind its pretend.....they didn't really have Tundra's........but it still gives spectators somewhat an idea what it was like...and makes for an enjoyable outing. Especially if it has good food vendors

Last edited:
This entirely thread just shows how little reenacting focuses on history.

It is obvious the original poster is still looking to rationalize his portrayal of a fictional character at a 'historical' reenactment. He is not going to take no for an answer, and why should he? He will eventually find an outlet for it. Can I be Taylor from Planet of the Apes? I am a human male, and human males existed during the Civil War, so it is obviously not out of the question that a time traveling astronaut from a 1960s Science Fiction movie should be at a Civil War event. It may attract people to the event! Or the Terminator. People will recognize the Terminator.

This really goes to show how insular reenacting is. I've always said that mainstream reenacting exists in a vacuum. It is not an attempt to show but rather it's own, unique thing. To say that a mainstream reenactment is attempting to portray anything remotely close to historical is inane at best. A reenactment is not recreating a historical vignette; it's creating it's own, modern interpretation of something generally considered "old-timey". It's less Living History and more Hill Cumorah Pageant. There are abstract themes that may bear a passing resemblance to the past, but it is not actual history and it doesn't actually claim to be. And in fact, the mythos of the past becomes more important and sacred than what actually happened.

Reenactors may claim to be doing it to educate the public, but in reality, they are educating the public about their hobby and not life in 186x.

And so you have two different hobbies. The mainstream, which focuses on inclusivity and rationalizing that which is not correct into being correct, and continually makes excuses for lack of authenticity and history in order to drum up numbers for a quickly shrinking hobby. Compare that to the authentic side which tries to portray an accurate and quality living history display or program for themselves, and more often than not, the public, which is growing by leaps and bounds.

There's noting wrong, in the Cosmic sense, of participating in mainstream reenacting. I participate in the occasional local event, but you have to be intellectually honest with yourself, and the public you interact with, that it is not portraying life in the 19th Century, but more a modern interpretation, with artistic license, of a quaint, romanticized ideal of the past.

Coming full circle, to the OP, have you looked into the Steampunk hobby? That would probably be more up your alley.

I began this thread with the notion that it would likely be received with a very mixed and minimal outpouring of support for the idea. I figured that would be the case. However, I wanted to ask the question first. NOT just show up at an event and say 'make my day'. I think the idea of going as a time traveler or Terminator portrayal, while as whimsical as that may be is NOT why I posed the question nor was it my intention to do so. (GBU at least takes place during the Civil War) Given the countless threads of a shrinking interest in the hobby and my own personal Marketing background, I thought a crossover might be a neat outlet for consideration. It would appear that perhaps the notion is not an accepted one at this time or maybe even ever. I can accept that.
I meant the question with sincerity and respect to the hobby and was not meant to belittle the historical significance of an event being portrayed, but perhaps to increase interest in the subject matter albeit in a non-traditional manner.
I already posted that its clear what the consensus is amongst many and that I'll work toward adopting an appropriate CW impression for CW events and seek alternative venues for my Man with No Name.

I haven't tried to throw too much cold water on the OP, I've only tried to steer him to the more appropriate venue with a warning that it still might not fly. Speaking of which Cimarron Firearms offers reproductions of the Colt SAA with the "rattlesnake grip" used by Eastwood in "Fistful of Dollars" and "For a Few Dollars More" along with a reproduction of the farby cartridge converted 1851 Navy with or without the grip from "The Good the Bad the Ugly". Heck I think they offer a replica of Eastwood's iconic poncho now.

But its not just that the impression would not "fit in" at a CW reenactment, its also that no matter what others here say, no matter the ironies, the OP would not be welcomed at a CW reenactments dressed as the fictional "Man with No Name". While some of the criticism of mainstream reenactments hold some water, its still a Civil War event, and while "The Good the Bad and the Ugly" was set in a CW era, it was out in New Mexico, far removed from the CW proper, and with a fraction of history in its premise that could be feasible. Now out in New Mexico or Arizona at some of those reenactments the OP my be welcomed, but he's still at a CW event with a western impression. The two don't mix, even coming out to please the public it most likely wouldn't work because the public has come to see a CW event, not a Clint Eastwood impression. Plus if he wished to actually reenact with that impression it wouldn't be allowed as it would be considered a hazard to have a "Blondie" running around the field with or without a "Tuco" to back him up. No matter the contradictions in mainstream reenacting, it would not be liked by the reenactors, and they would chastise him for it at most places to his face or behind his back. Hence why I recommend that impression be reserved for a Western reenactment. He'd enjoy himself far more.

"The Good the Bad and the Ugly" may have been set in the Civil War era out West, but its still a western, not a Civil War movie. If you want to do a western impression, it should be done at a western event.

But once more good luck to the OP.

Fair question, yeas I share his height and hit the 6ft 4' marker with no problems and have a lean albeit muscular build. So yes I have that aspect of the impression down. And I wouldn't let this discussion steer me away from reenacting as a hobby as a whole. Just means I have to continue building up my gear for a proper CW impression. So if my Eastwood idea isn't really the proper means of experiencing and participating in a CW reenactment than I'll pursue the route most appropriate. So no harm no foul, but I still wanted to pose the question and gain the valuable incite of those actively involved in the hobby.
Ferrissteve1, you come across as a really nice person with a fun attitude and your responses to the posts on here have been polite and courteous. If you want to try CW re-enactments then you should definitely give it a try but don’t give up on your idea of the man with no name character. I’m sure you’ll find a more appropriate group of reenacters that would welcome you. Best of luck my friend.:smile:[/QUOTE]

Back