Feelings when visiting plantations

major bill

Brev. Brig. Gen'l
Forum Host
During various tours , vacations and such, I have visited several plantations. Some are very interesting from an architecture view and the history of the building and family who lived there is also interesting. But how should I feel about the fact the plantation was engaged in the enslavement of other humans? Perhaps I should feel about the plantations the same way I feel when visiting massacre sites, interesting from a historical point but also very sad. Is visiting plantations the same as visiting Andersonville prison camp or concentration/death camps? Perhaps visiting plantations should be more like visiting royal castles. The castles themselves are fine but sometime the dungeons are a bit intense. When I was in Paris I had to go see where 30,000 people had the heads chopped off. I have visited other grim spots such as massacre sites.

I would guess different people will have different feelings when visiting grim sites. How should one feel when visiting Andersonville? Because I helped run a prisoner of war camp and watched prisoners die, one day I almost ordered the guards to open fire on a group of prisoners but at the very last second changed my mind, so why should Andersonville have any effect on me? But should a plantation be considered a grim site?

Back