Feedback on uniform, sword, sword hanger

I bought a re-enactor CSA Cavalry Uniform and sword. I'll be wearing this at some events where accuracy counts. Does anyone see problems with the uniform, sword, or how I'm wearing things? The picture doesn't show the cavalry boots, which I also have. Thanks!

Mike's Uniform.jpg

Are you going to a reenactment or some other kind of event? Are you a second lieutenant? Honestly the yellow trim was pretty rare. Your hat badge is upside down and usually if they did have them wore them on the crown of the cap. Here is a photo of CS cavalrymen captured in Virginia in 63. Notice headgear and lack of fancy boots and lack of trim.
June-17-Battle-of-Aldie-prisoners.jpg

I'm sorry, but there are a number of things obviously wrong with your impression:

- The sleeves on the jacket are the wrong shape. During the 1860's sleeves were wide at the elbow, and relatively narrow at the cuff. Yours are the opposite. They are also too long, which might be OK for a private wearing an issue jacket but not for an officer whose uniform should be at least somewhat fitted.

- Front of the collar should not be square, but angled back (regulations call for a 60 deg angle).

- It may be how you are wearing the sword belt, but the jacket looks like it doesn't fit under your arms. This may be a combination of a modern shoulder line (designed for shoulder pads) with too small of an armscye. It looks uncomfortable and probably will interfere with using the saber.

- Material looks like a cheap gray poly-wool blend. Confederate uniform cloth is a much bigger subject than one post can handle, but suffice to say there are much more appropriate choices.

- Cap looks too small (it's sitting on top of your head rather than shading your eyes). Again, might do for an unlucky private but not good for an officer - and as a rule officers didn't wear metal cap insignia.

I would seriously consider returning the items if that is an option. You can truthfully claim they don't fit properly. Then, work with knowledgable people in your unit (or others going to the same event) and take their advice on suppliers.

I realize this is tough news, but it's the plain truth.

Only because you asked will i say ths : the uniform and cap are cheap, Pakistani ****. Don't wear them in public. Destroy all pictures of yourself in them. Truly are that bad. Get your next uniform from Waumbaugh and White. There are many good hat makers out there. Your cap didn't come from one of them.

The edged weapon has that Frankenstein look of an India made item. Handle has shape of an 1851 foot officer sword. Curve seems more straight like a sword, but is close to a cavalry sabre. Scabbard is leather which is more common for swords than sabres.

That belt looks like a standard, infantry reenactor belt with some kind of hook you've attached.

Ditch that pretty thing dangling from the hilt.

You're wearing that edged weapon backwards. Really.

Farbenreich is a German word for colorful. Don't be a farb. Stay away from the bright colors.

- S.S. Mucket

I think it's possible to educate without being sarcastic or hateful. The man asked for help, and had the gumption to show his photo on a public forum. Most of us made more or less similar mistakes when we got started.

It's wise to remember that people in the business of selling Civil War "reproductions" are merchants at heart. They have large sums of money tied up in stock and clothing patterns, and their reputations are at stake if changes are made. Margins in the historical clothing business are small, so it makes a lot more sense for them to continue offering the same stuff they always have than to make changes. So as long as reenactors continue to buy it, they'll continue to sell it - and will happily tell you "it's accurate" as long as it goes out the door.

If you want a truly accurate reproduction of a period military uniform, your best first investment is some books. Wambaugh and White is a good recommendation, but as a rule don't base your impression on anyone's reproduction - base it on original items. This takes time and effort. "Cheap, quick, and good - you can have any two of the three" applies (as in so many other places).

Only because you asked will i say ths : the uniform and cap are cheap, Pakistani ****. Don't wear them in public. Destroy all pictures of yourself in them. Truly are that bad. Get your next uniform from Waumbaugh and White. There are many good hat makers out there. Your cap didn't come from one of them.

The edged weapon has that Frankenstein look of an India made item. Handle has shape of an 1851 foot officer sword. Curve seems more straight like a sword, but is close to a cavalry sabre. Scabbard is leather which is more common for swords than sabres.

That belt looks like a standard, infantry reenactor belt with some kind of hook you've attached.

Ditch that pretty thing dangling from the hilt.

You're wearing that edged weapon backwards. Really.

Farbenreich is a German word for colorful. Don't be a farb. Stay away from the bright colors.

- S.S. Mucket

Interesting comment by someone who goes by the name "Stainless Steel Mucket". I'm sure such an item would have been very popular during the war if available.

This picture has been posted in other threads, but, this is the overall look you should be shooting for. I know these are infantry, but, the point is to give you an idea of the colors and material used for an accurate impression. Cavalry would not have been a whole lot different. The vast majority of these gents are wearing jean cloth uniforms (cotton and wool woven together) with slouch hats in brown, black, or tan.

Note the officer on the far left. Nothing really fancy and no loud colors.

13.jpg

Vendors that can help. A handful have been mentioned earlier. All of the below will sell you items that have been researched and use the proper materials and construction:
https://www.bnbtart.com/index.html - uniforms
http://wwandcompany.com/ - more uniforms
https://www.facebook.com/GooberGrabberHeadwear/ - hats
http://www.dirtybillyshats.com/ - more hats. Follow his advice on his civil war page regarding confederate hats. A good 'beehive' hat in brown, black, or tan will suit you well.
https://www.fugawee.com/foot-wear/civil-war/mens/boots/knee-high/ - decent boots
http://www.missouribootandshoe.com/military--civilian-boots.html - some of the very best boots on the market

Hope this helps, and good luck in the assembly of your impression!

Kbaxin, I agree with your post except that if the event he is evolved with has been mentioned I missed it. If he is going to an early ceremony then having the uniform tailored to him and the sleeves shortened and the cuffs narrowed, etc. the uniform is fine. If it is a late war battle it unlikely that an officer would be dressed that way. If he was with Lee it is one thing. If he was with Anderson it is very different.

I bought a re-enactor CSA Cavalry Uniform and sword. I'll be wearing this at some events where accuracy counts. Does anyone see problems with the uniform, sword, or how I'm wearing things? The picture doesn't show the cavalry boots, which I also have. Thanks!

View attachment 309521
You do have a horse? I do not believe that the CSA provided horses even to officers.Alterations are strongly suggested !

I personally think you need to alter your sleeves: they are too long. I offer this advice as someone who has worked previously at a men's clothing store for over eight years. It was my first job as a teenager. It was here that I learned the art of sartorial splendor. David.

Back