The Peninsula Federal Unit Arrival Dates on the Peninsula

67th Tigers

Captain
Hi all,

I've been checking when units and formations arrived on the Peninsula. This table is my draft findings. I have two questions:

1. Does anybody know about the Artillery Reserve movements? I know 4-5 batteries went on the 27th March convoy and were with the reserve during the advance to Yorktown. The balance went with the last convoy to Fort Monroe that carried McClellan, and didn't seem to be with him until well after his advance reached Yorktown.

2. Can anyone see any mistakes?

Thanks

Arrival%2Bon%2BPeninsula3.png

Last edited:
So, using the same terms as rebel effectives, here are the rough combat strengths on the Warwick line, and at Monroe (and Newport News), and at Ship Point.

Effectives%2BWarwick%2BMonroe%2BShip%2BPoint.png

That means the most critical period of the siege was actually around the 12-14th. On the 12th the Confederate strength was about 36,000 effectives, while on the 14th it had spiked to 47,000 - a real indicator of who was winning the race to reinforce at that point, though once the rain ended and the Federal reinforcements marched up things did stabilize.

That means the most critical period of the siege was actually around the 12-14th. On the 12th the Confederate strength was about 36,000 effectives, while on the 14th it had spiked to 47,000 - a real indicator of who was winning the race to reinforce at that point, though once the rain ended and the Federal reinforcements marched up things did stabilize.

I need to correct my tables, slightly, but this is basically correct. By the 12th all the reinforcements ordered to Magruder on 28th March are in place, including the 5 brigades from Johnston's army. Magruder will claim 31,500 effectives on the 11th, which is a lowball.

From 12th-15th another four brigades arrive, Hampton's and DR Jones' (Semmes) on the 13th, Toombs' on the 14th and Hood's on the 15th. These four brigades were a second tranche of reinforcements that entrained around the 8th after it was clear McClellan was committed completely to the Peninsula.

The the night of the 14th-15th there was a high level command conference in Richmond. Johnston had two divisions remaining at Richmond, GW Smith's and Longstreet's (both 3 bdes, for Smith the bdes of Whiting, SR Anderson and Pettigrew, and for Longstreet those of AP Hill, RH Anderson and Pickett). He desperately didn't want to send them to Yorktown and argued with Lee. Lee won the argument and on the 16th the residue is ordered to Yorktown.

Back