Federal Infantryman with Equipment and a Meal

Mike Serpa

Major
lf-1.jpeg

Great Quarter Plate Civil War Tintype of a Federal Infantryman, Possibly 44th Massachusetts, with his Equipment Displayed. Wears nine button frock coat with collar rolled down and sleeves rolled up, wide brimmed slouch hat, regulation style brogans. Enfield waist belt with snake buckle, cap box, bayonet. His P1853 Enfield rifle displayed on the floor in front of him, along with tarred haversack with hardtack, coffee cup with spoon, tin plate with hardtack and other food, coffee pot and canteen.
From heritage Auction. Sold for $1,015.75

Unfortunately, the image is low resolution. However, the plate certainly contains a piece of hardtack & an onion. The other two objects would be bacons& likely a potato. That would be consistent with common & ordinary rations. Two more “crackers” rest against his haversack.

Camera left, the amorphous object could be the ration bag that fits inside the haversack. Hiding behind the coffee pot is his canteen.

Thanks for posting this image. With his cuffs turned back & collar turned down combined with the well worn appearance of the haversack, this is an unusual image of a veteran infantryman. I have enjoyed examining it.

Last edited:
Unfortunately, the image is low resolution. However, the plate certainly contains a piece of hardtack & an onion. The other two objects would be bacons& likely a potato. That would be consistent with common & ordinary rations. Two more “crackers” rest against his haversack.

Camera left, the amorphous object could be the ration bag that fits inside the haversack. Hiding behind the coffee pot is his canteen.

Thanks for posting this image. With his cuffs turned back & collar turned down combined with the well worn appearance of the haversack, this is an unusual image of a veteran infantryman. I have enjoyed examining it.
Thanks. At first, I thought he had a small tablet-sized computer on his plate!

Is that a shield flap cap pouch or ?
Have any of you seen any of the soft "Oliver" pattern cap pouches in any images ? British friends have shown me examples of these pouches in black, brown and white. But were any sent here ?Your 2£ worth ?

View attachment 388838
Great Quarter Plate Civil War Tintype of a Federal Infantryman, Possibly 44th Massachusetts, with his Equipment Displayed. Wears nine button frock coat with collar rolled down and sleeves rolled up, wide brimmed slouch hat, regulation style brogans. Enfield waist belt with snake buckle, cap box, bayonet. His P1853 Enfield rifle displayed on the floor in front of him, along with tarred haversack with hardtack, coffee cup with spoon, tin plate with hardtack and other food, coffee pot and canteen.
From heritage Auction. Sold for $1,015.75
Simply incredible!!!! I am so glad you shared this photograph, I find it fascinating. Thank you!!!!

Back