February 4 the National Homemade Soup Day

donna

Brev. Brig. Gen'l
Forum Host
There are many wonderful soup recipes on the Food Forum. However, I don't believe we have this old one for Carrot Soup. It is from "Old-Time Recipes To Enjoy". "Kentucky Explorer Magazine".

Carrot Soup

Carrots, two slices of onion, sprig parsley, one-fourth cup of rice, four tablespoons of butter, one and one half teaspoons of salt, a few grains of cayenne, two cups of water, two cups of scalded milk, and two tablespoons of flour.

Soup is a delicious and hearty meal for these cold winter days. Make your favorite soup today for Homemade Soup Day.

Last edited by a moderator:
SOUP!!! I dearly love fry bread or biscuits and plain ol' cream of tomato soup! This is an updated version of the old fashioned kind.

Classic Tomato Soup

Ingredients

4 tablespoons (½ stick) butter
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 medium onion chopped
coarse salt and ground pepper
1/4 cup all-purpose flour
3 tablespoons tomato paste
2 sprigs fresh thyme (or ½ teaspoon dried thyme)
2 cans (14.5 ounces each) reduced-sodium chicken broth
2 cans (28 ounces each) whole peeled tomatoes in juice (with basil if available)

Directions

In a 5-quart saucepan or Dutch oven, melt butter over medium heat; add oil and onion, season with salt and pepper. Cook until onion is translucent, about 5 minutes. Stir in flour and tomato paste, cook 1 minute.
To saucepan, add thyme, broth, and tomatoes, breaking up tomatoes with your fingers. Bring to a boil; reduce heat and simmer, 30 minutes. (Remove thyme sprigs before blending.)
Using an immersion blender, purée soup in pot, leaving a fair amount of the tomatoes in chunks. Or, working in several batches, purée half (5 cups) of the soup in a conventional blender until smooth; return to pot. Season with salt and pepper. Serve immediately, or let cool to room temperature before dividing among airtight containers (leaving 1 inch of space at the top) and freezing.

An unusual soup, at least to me, Lettuce Soup (1863) from "Civil War Recipes Receipts from the Pages of Godey's Lady's Book".

Lettuce Soup

"Cut up the white parts of two or four lettuces as needed, a quart of stock, free from fat, and boiling; into this throw the lettuces and a small onion, chopped very fine, and a teaspoonful of salt; let it boil twenty minutes, thicken with two tablespoons of flour, first rubbed in cold water, and a little soup added to it, then strained before putting it to the soup, then throw in a small bit of butter not larger than a walnut; let the whole boil up once and serve."

Note Use chicken stock.

Oh, that put me in mind of Nona Madrigalli's Italian meatball soup! She used romaine lettuce in it, and that tiny rice-like pasta. Wish I had that recipe. She was from Naples - does anybody have a recipe like that? Gooood! :hungry:

diane I almost forgot, there is Italian Wedding Soup. It is made with greens, like spinach, kale and lettuce. I brought recipe back up as had posted some time before.

Thanks! I'm going to make that today - but use romaine lettuce as we have some. Sounds pretty close! :thumbsup:

This is the simplest soup, my grandmother used to make this and it is disproportionately delicious to the amount of trouble it is.

Pinto bean soup

1/2 cup chopped onion
2 tbs butter
1 (15 oz) can Trappey's pinto beans with bacon
2 1/2 cup chicken stock
1/2 cup tomato juice
Salt and pepper to taste
Garlic salt to taste

Cook onion slightly in butter. Add everything else and heat. Put in blender. Serve with garnish of sliced hard boiled egg.

Grandmother's note: any can of beans will do, but Trappey's are Cajun and the best.

My own version has morphed a little since this one - I use fresh garlic, slivered and cooked with the onion, instead of garlic salt, add a little parsley, use low-sodium chicken stock, and use v8 instead of tomato juice.

Here's quick and easy recipe for a crock pot soup. It's also versatile as you could substitute various veggies into the mix. Enjoy!

Beef Vegetable Barley Soup

Ingredients -
  • 1/2 whole large onion - diced
  • 4 cups beef broth (I typically use the low sodium variety)
  • 2 cups water
  • 14.5 ounces diced tomatoes
  • 3 whole large carrots - cut into pieces or diced
  • 4 stalks celery, cut into pieces or diced
  • 3/4 cup pearl barley
  • 1 teaspoon powered garlic
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons thyme
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons rosemary
  • 2-3 bay leaves
  • 1 1/2 pounds beef stew meat, cut into small pieces
  • 1 teaspoon pepper
  • 1 cup frozen peas
Directions -
  1. Add onion, beef broth, water, tomatoes, carrots, celery, barley, garlic, thyme, rosemary and stew meat to crock pot. Stir well.
  2. Set crock pot to high for 6 hours or to low for 8-10 hours.
  3. 30 minutes before serving soup adjust seasonings to taste. Add frozen peas & stir well.
  4. Cook until peas are heated through.

Back