February 2020 PotM Announced!

ami

First Lady of CivilWarTalk
Super Moderator
Congratulations @George Thomas !!!

georgethomas.jpg

Congrats on a GREAT photo.

Excellent choice! A very beautiful and moving photo! Congratulations!
Regards
David

Where exactly was this pic taken?
Thanks to all for the support and encouragement. There are so many great photos posted every month I didn't think I would ever win one of these contests. I guess I was finally at the right place at the right time!

This photo was taken at Poplar Grove National Cemetery near Petersburg, VA on December 30, 2019 at 5:00 pm. It was a beautiful day with the temperature reaching into the 70s. I spent most of the day following the hiking trails on the Eastern Front of the Petersburg Battlefield. At the end of the day, I drove by some Western Front sites and the cemetery was my last stop for the day. As you can tell from the background of the photo, the area around the cemetery is still undeveloped. The view is looking southeast from the center of the cemetery. The light was really soft and beautiful in that direction and the bare trees made for an interesting background.

According to the cemetery brochure, almost all of the 6,200 graves at Poplar Grove are from the Civil War era. There are only 50 non-Civil War graves.

This photo was taken at Poplar Grove National Cemetery near Petersburg, VA on December 30, 2019 at 5:00 pm. It was a beautiful day with the temperature reaching into the 70s. I spent most of the day following the hiking trails on the Eastern Front of the Petersburg Battlefield. At the end of the day, I drove by some Western Front sites and the cemetery was my last stop for the day. As you can tell from the background of the photo, the area around the cemetery is still undeveloped. The view is looking southeast from the center of the cemetery. The light was really soft and beautiful in that direction and the bare trees made for an interesting background.

According to the cemetery brochure, almost all of the 6,200 graves at Poplar Grove are from the Civil War era. There are only 50 non-Civil War graves.

I wish it would get into the 70s around here. For the past few weeks we've been hovering between 10s to mid-30s.

I really liked the contrast between the wreaths and red ribbons against the gravestones and the setting sun were really amazing. And it's always rather remarkable that from such tragic events you find such serene spots.

Back