FEBRUARY 1ST.IN CIVIL WAR HISTORY

nitrofd

Retired User
1833-South Carolina's Ordinance of Nullification goes into effect.
1847-Jones v. VanZandt is argued before the Supreme Court of the United States.
1861-Texas votes 166-7 to secede.it becomes the 7th. State to leave the Union.
1862-President Lincoln sends a letter to Queen Victoria on the death of Prince Albert.
Ethan Allen Hitchcock,U.S.A., is appointed Major General.
Skirmish at Bowling Green,Ky.
The Confederate forces enter the New Mexico Territory.
1863-Union attacks Fort McAllister,Savannah,Ga.,leading to the death of M.G.John B. Gallie.the attack was carried out by the gunboats USS Dawn,Senaca,Wissachickon,and the mortal boat C.P.Williams.
Federal reconnaissance to Franklin and Brentwood,Tn.
Union forces occupy Franklin,Tn.
Maj.Gen.George Sykes,USA,is placed in temporary command of the 5th. U.s.Army Corps,the Army of the Potomac.
Federal expedition from New Berne to Pkymouth,N.C. aboard the steamer Notherner 2/1-10/1863.
1864-United States House of Representatives moves on reviving the rank of LT.General.
Skirmish at Bristol Station,Va.
Skirmish at Waldron,Ark.
Federal expedition from Knoxville to Flat Creek,Tn.no engagements.
Federal reconnaissance from Maryville toward Sevierville,Tn. And 14 miles southwest of Dandridge.
Federal scout in White and Putman counties,Tn.including Cokville,up the Calf killer River,near Yankeetown,and Lancaster,as federal kill and capture many notorious rebels under Champ Ferguson.
President Lincoln,using the Congressional Conscription Act,orders that 500,000 men be drafted on March 10th.unlike before Lincoln receives little or no opposition.
Federal scouts near Rolla,Mo.
1865-Sherman-s troops leave Savannah,Ga.
Stephen Thomas,USA,is appointed Brig.Gen.
Maj.Gen.John Bankhead Magruder,CSA,assumes command of the District of Arkansas.
Bowing to political pressure,President Jefferson Davis accepts the resignation of Confederate Secretary of War,James A.Seddon.
Bvt.B.G.William W.Morris,USA, is in temporary command of the Middle Dept.,Va.
Skirmish at McLemore's Cove,Tn.,in the vicinity of Ringold,Ga.,as federal attack and smash a rebel camp.
Skirmish at Whimpy Creek,S.C.
Illinois becomes the first state to ratify the 13th Adme dment which abolished slavery.
Union naval operations against Confederate Salt Works at St.Andrews Bay,Fl.

This isn't Civil War era, but I see a connection. I apologize if it is out of place. Four African American college students were refused service at the lunch counter of Woolworth’s Department Store in downtown Greensboro, NC on February 1, 1960. This launched a sit-in movement that would spread throughout the state and the South.

This isn't Civil War era, but I see a connection. I apologize if it is out of place. Four African American college students were refused service at the lunch counter of Woolworth’s Department Store in downtown Greensboro, NC on February 1, 1960. This launched a sit-in movement that would spread throughout the state and the South.
I believe that would be modern day reconstruction or an extension of the 1875 Civil Rights Act.

Skirmish at Bristol Station,Va.
Thanks for posting the list, every day I try and look up a few of the skirmishes and battles that you mention, today I tried to find out about the Skirmish at Bristol Station,Va but I keep getting results for the Skirmish Bristoe Station, are these the same skirmish?

Thanks for posting the list, every day I try and look up a few of the skirmishes and battles that you mention, today I tried to find out about the Skirmish at Bristol Station,Va but I keep getting results for the Skirmish Bristoe Station, are these the same skirmish?
When I posted I didn't notice that the spell checker changed Bristoe to Bristol.when I posted about Rommel,the spell checker change it to Romeo and it changed it to something else.

When I posted I didn't notice that the spell checker changed Bristoe to Bristol.when I posted about Rommel,the spell checker change it to Romeo and it changed it to something else.
No problem, I was getting a tad confused because I was getting some sites stating that there was a skirmish at Bristol Station VA, I guess others have been tricked by the spell checker, its easily done.

Back