Period Potato Salad/Potato Croquettes/Potato Pie/Irish Potato Chips

All recipes are from “Housekeeping In Old Virginia” by Marion Cabell Tyree, 1877.

Potato Salad

To one quart potatoes mashed fine and rubbed through a colander:

1 tablespoonful fresh butter.
1 teaspoonful salt.
1 teacupful rich milk.

Cream all together and beat until light. Rub the yolks of three hard-boiled eggs with--

2 teaspoonfuls mustard.
2 teaspoonfuls sugar.
1 teaspoonful pepper.
1 teaspoonful salt.
Enough pepper vinegar to moisten.

Then chop the whites of the eggs very fine and mix in.
Put a layer of the potatoes in the salad-bowl and with a spoon put the dressing over in spots. Another layer of potatoes, then the dressing, and so on, putting the dressing on top. Garnish with curled parsley, and serve.

Potato Croquettes

Peel, boil, and mash one quart potatoes, mix with yolks of four eggs and some milk.
Set on the fire, stir two minutes; set on a dish to cool or leave overnight. In the morning add a little milk, mix thoroughly, roll in bread crumbs; divide in cakes and fry in lard. Take off when done; drain, dish, and serve immediately.

Potato Pie

A savory potato pie is made thus: A layer of mashed potatoes placed in a pie dish and then slices of any cold meat (if chicken or veal, slices of tongue or ham may be added), and herbs, pepper and salt, sprinkled over to taste. Continue these layers alternately till thedish is full; the potatoes must well cover the top, which should have some butter added, and be brushed over with the yolk of an egg, and put into the oven till done through. A little butter on each layer is needed if the meat is not fat, and it should not be too fat.

Irish Potato Chips

Shave the raw potatoes with a cabbage cutter. Drop the pieces, one at a time, into boiling lard, and fry a rich brown. Sprinkle a little salt over them.

From my MaryAnn's collection of family favorites.
TWICE BAKED W/ CHEESE
Wash, scrub the skins and pierce several times. Bake at 350 for an hour or until tender. Right from the oven with a mitt, slice off a about a 1" wide strip of the skin lengthwise. Scoop out the potato leaving a thin layer still in the skin for support. Mash with a little butter and milk. Then mix in about a 1/2 cup of grated sharp cheddar ( based on 2-3 potatos). Refill the skins and back in 350 for 10-15 minutes more. Extra mix goes on the sliced off pieces. During the last 5 minutes, sprinkle a little more grated cheddar on top and back in the oven till golden browned. Yummy in the tummy

Last edited:
Having mashed potato with my meal tonight. Sometimes I will take leftover mashed potato and stir them into some chicken broth for a quick potato soup. You could stir into vegetable broth too. I don’t use milk in my spud soup..lactose intolerant!

Back