Lt.Arty Fawcett, Preston Cannon

Cadet
I believe this cannon originally had an iron carriage,would they have installed on wooden for a specific reason

9B2C8732-6737-428E-BD89-1E084D40BFBA.jpeg

37A9F0BB-3819-4584-B9F7-99E85BD27A53.jpeg

3.5" "English rifle" made by Fawcett & Preston in Liverpool, purchased by General John C. Fremont early in the war.
its a 4" with 6rh rifeling, I believe it came on an iron carriage originally

Without being nosey, I'd like to hear more about this story. For a collector, this is the holy grail.

Last edited:
Nice Piece. We will need some measurements and more photos. If it is a Blakley pattern it should have Blakley Patn on the barrel where the Fawcett makings are. Also there should be markings on the end of the barrel and on the ends of the trunnions. If possible could you post overall length, measurements and photos of the end of the barrel, ends of trunnions a overall. Thanks

I’ve been working with a gentleman by the name of Lawncare Babits,extremely knowledgeable and has helped me out tremendously

Does anyone know if the axle is period correct and what type and diameter wheel I need thanks

Lee,

Jimmy Braswell from Fort Branch. I was the first to contact you about your gun. Yes we have found out a lot about your gun. First it's serial number is #137 and ours is #138, they are sister guns. We have the names of 5 men from Fort Branch that were captured at Weldon NC from our Garrison on April 4, 1864. We are confident that they were following orders from Braxton Bragg and moving all possible military equipment west when captured, the most accurate, most powerful but easiest to move gun we had to the railroad in Weldon when captured. The only US unit in the area on that date was the 1st NY Mounted Rifles which was mustered from South Eastern NY and South Western Conn. These five men were all imprisoned at the 1st. NYMR home base in VA. We believe that our men and gun went back to the 1st NYMR base camp and because it was so close to the end of the war they were allowed to take this gun ( From Fort Branch) back home as a war trophy. Placed in a park and then passed on to your father in the manner you relayed to me. A very neat story! Hold on to it! It would be very nice if it could come back home!

If you would like the the names of the men, email, message, or call me....or contact Dr. Babits and we will get you the info.

Jimmy Braswell
President
Fort Branch Historical Society

Back