Favorite Quotes

FrazierC

First Sergeant
Someone has probably posted a similar thread before me, but I'm too lazy to check.
My question is, "What are some of your favorite Civil War era quotes?" One of my personal favorites is my Profile signature: "Fall in here, you sons of b!tches! I'll make major generals of every one of you!" -Maj. Gen. Phillip Kearny at the Battle of Second Manassas. What are some of your favorites?

Obviously, I have quite a few.....nobody like THAT GUY for short, memorable quotes.

I then stated that I had not come out for the purpose of surrendering my command, and would not do it if they would follow me out; that I intended to go out if I saved but one man.
.....Forrest's report after Fort Donelson.

Charge 'em both ways!
.......Forrest at Parker's Crossroads

Obviously, I have quite a few.....nobody like THAT GUY for short, memorable quotes.

.....Forrest's report after Fort Donelson.

.......Forrest at Parker's Crossroads
Hahaha, leave it to Forrest to give some good quotes. Another popular one of his is, "All is fair in love and war."

Forrest tidied up that quote in his report! What his men heard when he came out onto the porch after meeting with the other commanders: "Boys, they are talking about surrendering this place and I intend to go out before they do or bust hell wide open!" A couple of my great-uncles missed the exit, though, and spent some time at Johnson's Island...

I'll probably post more later, but these are the first to come to mind. From Lincoln "With malice toward none, with charity for all..."from his second inaugural address, from Sherman, "When peace does come you may call on me for anything. Then I will share with you the last cracker" and from Andrew Johnson "Liberty and Union, one and inseparable, now and forever"

"You have got things in a hell of a fix, and you may get them out as you best can"
William T. Sherman to his brother John, on meeting Pres. Lincoln.
Kevin Dally

I forgot one....not by but about THAT GUY.

Brice's Cross Road June 1864. General S. D. Sturgis leading a force of about 8000 suffers one of the most lopsided defeats in history at the hands of Forrest and his 4800 troops. The total Union loss in killed, wounded, or missing/captured was 2240 as compared to a total Confederate loss of 974. In addition Forrest captured 18 cannon, 176 wagons, 5000 small arms, 300,000 rounds of ammunition and sent Sturgis back to Memphis in sheer panic. At one point during the route Colonel Bouton proposed making a stand in the Hatchie Bottom to which General Sturgis replied, "For God's sake, if Mr. Forrest will let me alone, I will let him alone."

Reactions: Lee
"When you come to a fork in the road, take it." Yogi Berra

"Three may keep a secret, if two of them are dead." Ben Franklin

"This morning I shot an elephant in my pajamas. How he got in my pajamas, I'll never know." Groucho Marx

When Gen. Pope declared that his headquarters would be in the saddle, some Confederate wag observed, "He doesn't know his headquarters from his hindquarters!"

Reactions: Lee
“It is well that war is so terrible, or we should grow too fond of it.” - Robert E. Lee talking to Longstreet at Marye's Heights watching the Battle of Fredericksburg take place.

"We are the last of our race. Let us be the best as well." - Brig. Gen. Joseph O. Shelby

"A battery of artillery is worth a thousand muskets." - Gen. William T. Sherman

Back