lelliott19

Brigadier General
* OFFICIAL *
CWT PRESENTER
Forum Host
Silver Patron
Regtl. Staff Chickamauga 2018
20211013_112214.jpg

In the official "going live" thread, folks have posted a ton of great pictures from the 2021 Antietam Muster! This thread is for a slightly different purpose.

For this thread, please choose just a few of your favorite pictures AND tell us WHY they're your favorites. Please post your "few favorites" in a single post.

Neither of my favorite pictures were actually taken during the "official" part of the muster. I've been working together with @bdtex and @Viper21 as moderators for CWT several years. If yall only knew how much time the moderators spend talking to each other about posts, reports, and threads....

This is the third CWT muster that me and @bdtex have both attended and I've met @Viper21 in person too. But I didn't have any pictures with either of them -- until now-- which is why these two are my favorites...

Wednesday, October 6
Staunton, Virginia
Thornrose Confederate Cemetery
IMG_2847.jpg

Thursday, October 7
Pleasant Valley, Maryland
Along the Route of the Confederate Retreat
20211013_112041.jpg

Ok @NH Civil War Gal @Diane123 @Kathy the history sleuth @Gettmore @infomanpa @Ole Miss @Stone in the wall @SJU James N. @mkyzzzrdet @Package4 @Seduzal @PBRegiment @PaulErrett @Michael W. @Rick Featherston @DixieRifles @ErnieMac @JFW22 and all the rest of yall... show us your favorites and tell us why. ❤️

Last edited:
I've been working together with @bdtex and @Viper21 as moderators for CWT several years. If yall only knew how much time the moderators spend talking to each other about posts, reports, and threads....

This is the third CWT muster that me and @bdtex have both attended and I've met @Viper21 in person too. But I didn't have any pictures with either of them -- until now-- which is why these two are my favorites...
I haven't had time to go through all of mine yet. That one of you and me is one of my favorites for the same reason. Can't believe there wasn't one before that of just you and me.

View attachment 418195
In the official "going live" thread, folks have posted a ton of great pictures from the 2021 Antietam Muster! This thread is for a slightly different purpose.

For this thread, please choose just a few of your favorite pictures AND tell us WHY they're your favorites. Ill start. Neither of my favorite pictures were actually taken during the "official" part of the muster.

I've been working together with @bdtex and @Viper21 as moderators for CWT several years. If yall only knew how much time the moderators spend talking to each other about posts, reports, and threads....

Wednesday, October 6
Staunton, Virginia
Thornrose Confederate Cemetery
View attachment 418196
Thursday, October 7
Pleasant Valley, Maryland
Along the Route of the Confederate Retreat
View attachment 418197

Ok @NH Civil War Gal @Diane123 @Kathy the history sleuth @Gettmore @infomanpa @Ole Miss @Stone in the wall @SJU James N. @mkyzzzrdet @Package4 @Seduzal @PBRegiment @PaulErrett @Michael W. @Rick Featherston @DixieRifles @ErnieMac @JFW22 and all the rest of yall... show us your favorites and tell us why. ❤️
Great idea! I'll look into this when I get home. I'm still on the road.

This is my favorite "cause" I am with The CWT family. I love you all for allowing Donna and I to tag along and learn MUCH...And because, Thanks to Bobby, I know my directions based on where the SUN is.View attachment 418218
I cropped it slightly and zoomed in a tiny bit. See if you like it.
20211013_164104.jpg

I guess this my favorite because it captures @bdtex without his big smile. At Vicksburg Muster, Bobby was nice enough to let me room with him. So I try to kid him a lot but should respect his rank.

We were trying to tell Pat how shoot the picture. I was saying rotate the camera and I Bobby later told me he was saying we are talking.

738A39D6-3367-4323-9E55-4301F296E2B7.jpeg

IMG_0486[1].jpg

These were a couple I liked, the first one deliberately posed beside the Texas Monument; the second one quite natural amidst all the paraphernalia of the battlefield.

IMG_0492[1].jpg

Another would have to be this shot of Maryland State Park Ranger Steve Robertson who did so much to make our Thursday side trip to South Mountain that I planned such a success:

IMG_0472[1].jpg

This is one of my favorites with me and my friend @Rick Featherston . I met Rick in November 2015 and we've been to some places together and with groups since then. I didn't know much about the town of Harpers Ferry before our visit. Here we are in front of St. Peter's Catholic Church. Built in 1833 and survived the war. Very prominent landmark in Harpers Ferry.

IMG_20211008_105849719_HDR~2.jpg

Of the pictures that I took on Thursday, this is definitely one of my favorites. I didn't know the Washington Monument was there or that we were going there. The view was spectacular. I wish I had caught a little more sky in the picture.

2021-10-07 16.41.22.jpg

When my plane landed on Wednesday afternoon and I got my rent car, I busted a move to Elmwood Cemetery in Shepherdstown. Great way to start the trip off. It had been recommended to me by @Stone in the wall more than 2 years ago. I was there an hour. This is my favorite picture from that stop. I got low right in front of the Confederate burial section and got the two monuments in back through the trees. The 3 gravestones in front are Unknown CSA Soldiers. ETA: As much as I like to clean gravestones, I like the way they look. Weathered and rustic isn't always unreadable.

IMG_20211006_162605485_HDR~2.jpg

I'm not ready for this thread to die yet. Hope some others kick in. I have gone though all my pictures taken on Saturday several times and I keep coming back to 3 that are favorites that I don't think I posted in the other threads. @Seduzal and I busted outta the hotel early that morning and had a pleasant drive to the battlefield. We made quick stops at a couple places along the way and arrived at the battlefield at 8:25am. My chest was just a thumpin' when we got there:

2021-10-09 08.26.53.jpg

I had been trying to get to Antietam since June of last year. Our Muster was the first time I'd been there. The sun came out around 11:00am on Saturday during our visit that day. This picture was taken right at noon on Saturday. A highlight of my life for sure. I coulda stayed there for hours.

2021-10-09 12.00.20.jpg

In a normal year, I usually go to a few national cemeteries that I've never been to. Before October 9th, it was June 2019 the last time I went to one that I hadn't been to before. The last national cemetery I went to was at Shiloh during our Muster last year and that wasn't the first time I'd been there. It had been awhile since I saw a sight like this at Antietam National Cemetery. Those rows stretched on behind me. It moved me.

2021-10-09 16.48.44.jpg

I'm not ready for this thread to die yet. Hope some others kick in. I have gone though all my pictures taken on Saturday several times and I keep coming back to 3 that are favorites that I don't think I posted in the other threads. @Seduzal and I busted outta the hotel early that morning and had a pleasant drive to the battlefield. We made quick stops at a couple places along the way and arrived at the battlefield at 8:25am. My chest was just a thumpin' when we got there:

View attachment 419198
Unfortunately I don't have any photos I haven't already posted, but I too hate to let the memories of the muster go just yet. Here are a few more of my favorites from our weekend:

IMG_0475[1].jpg

I like this one from Turner's Gap not only because of the neat row of markers describing the campaign but also the inclusion of our group in the background.

IMG_0498[1].jpg

A peaceful shot of Antietam Creek taken from Burnside's Bridge.

IMG_0500[1].jpg

In a normal year, I usually go to a few national cemeteries that I've never been to. Before October 9th, it was June 2019 the last time I went to one that I hadn't been to before. The last national cemetery I went to was at Shiloh during our Muster last year and that wasn't the first time I'd been there. It had been awhile since I saw a sight like this at Antietam National Cemetery. Those rows stretched on behind me. It moved me.

View attachment 419200
Although I've been to Antietam several times by now, like other old favorites, each time I go I like to try to find places I've never visited before or haven't seen recently. One such was the Massachusetts Wounded Lion Monument which I had previously seen only through the windshield of a moving vehicle. I'd seen the William McKinley Memorial below on previous occasions beginning in 1961 though until now I didn't have a good photo of it.

IMG_0499[1].jpg

Last edited:
I finally had a few minutes to start to look at my photos. The first one is my favorite because it shows new friends from the Muster. It's so awesome to meet fellow Civil War fans and nice folks. Thanks for the learning and fun.
The others are the period fences that caught my eye at the battlefield. I love studying a subject where you can actually walk the ground. And I'm glad the soldiers and others that walked it are not forgotten.

IMG_20211008_144837255.jpg

IMG_20211009_104838308.jpg

IMG_20211009_121152073.jpg

I finally had a few minutes to start to look at my photos. The first one is my favorite because it shows new friends from the Muster. It's so awesome to meet fellow Civil War fans and nice folks. Thanks for the learning and fun.
The others are the period fences that caught my eye at the battlefield. I love studying a subject where you can actually walk the ground. And I'm glad the soldiers and others that walked it are not forgotten.

img_20211008_144837255-jpg.jpg
Bolivar Heights was a lot of fun. That's a great picture.

Back