Favorite Northern/Southern Civil War Tunes

So the answer to this question of my favorite Civil War song is "I don't know". There is a flute song on an episode of Civil War Journal that I absolutely love, but don't know the name of it... maybe someone here can help me out. The song starts at 3:05

So the answer to this question of my favorite Civil War song is "I don't know". There is a flute song on an episode of Civil War Journal that I absolutely love, but don't know the name of it... maybe someone here can help me out. The song starts at 3:05

No idea…it’s catchy, that’s for sure. It sounds like so many tunes played between Revolutionary War and the CW.

It sure is. I've been trying to research it, but have come up short.
I don't know what the song is, but here's the list of tunes that are on the soundtrack for that documentary. The only ones I don't recognize are #3 Lost at Sea and #10 Monitor Versus the Virginia. It might be one of those, but I can't find a recording of the soundtrack online, so you'd have to buy it or find someone with a copy.

1. Main Title (02:07)
2. Dixie - Dawn Before Battle (04:48)
3. Lost at Sea (08:30)
4. Gettysburg (06:01)
5. 54th Massachusetts (06:36)
6. I'm a Good Old Rebel (03:30)
7. Fort Sumter (05:01)
8. Rebel Soldier (02:13)
9. When Johnny Comes Marching Home (04:01)
10. Monitor Versus the Virginia (05:39)
11. John Brown's War (04:07)
12. John Brown's Body (03:15)
13. Amazing Grace - Endtitle (03:49)
Total Duration: 00:59:37

What are some of your favorites? Please post links so we can enjoy. Here are a few of my favorites:

Bonnie Blue Flag is such a good tune. Catchiest melody ever.
Music was so important in keeping up soldiers' spirits -- whether marching or on the eve of another battle. My understanding is that some were sung by soldiers on both sides! -- Dixie, Lorena, Tenting Tonight. There may be others.

Tennessee Ernie Ford

I will never forget his trademark phrase when he was doing the Martha White cornmeal adverts :
" It's pea-pick'n good"

:bounce:

My Father actually had to spend two days with Tennessee Ernie Ford on a business weekend back in the late 1960s.
( At the height of Ford's popularity).

Dad said he was a very nice guy, down to earth ... and could not understand his popularity.

For those that have never heard of this fellow, here's a quick video:

I will never forget his trademark phrase when he was doing the Martha White cornmeal adverts :
" It's pea-pick'n good"

:bounce:

My Father actually had to spend two days with Tennessee Ernie Ford on a business weekend back in the late 1960s.
( At the height of Ford's popularity).

Dad said he was a very nice guy, down to earth ... and could not understand his popularity.

For those that have never heard of this fellow, here's a quick video:

Gah! You beat me to it! I was gonna post that song.

I don't know what the song is, but here's the list of tunes that are on the soundtrack for that documentary. The only ones I don't recognize are #3 Lost at Sea and #10 Monitor Versus the Virginia. It might be one of those, but I can't find a recording of the soundtrack online, so you'd have to buy it or find someone with a copy.

1. Main Title (02:07)
2. Dixie - Dawn Before Battle (04:48)
3. Lost at Sea (08:30)
4. Gettysburg (06:01)
5. 54th Massachusetts (06:36)
6. I'm a Good Old Rebel (03:30)
7. Fort Sumter (05:01)
8. Rebel Soldier (02:13)
9. When Johnny Comes Marching Home (04:01)
10. Monitor Versus the Virginia (05:39)
11. John Brown's War (04:07)
12. John Brown's Body (03:15)
13. Amazing Grace - Endtitle (03:49)
Total Duration: 00:59:37
Thank you! Where did you find that? I was searching, but came up short...

I was actually just discussing this with some friends of mine.

I don't think it's my personal favorite song, but I learned recently that Frederick Douglass really liked "My Old Kentucky Home." He said:

"It would seem almost absurd to say it, considering the use that has been made of them, that we have allies in the Ethiopian songs; those songs that constitute our national music, and without which we have no national music. They are heart songs, and the finest feelings of human nature are expressed in them. 'Lucy Neal,' 'Old Kentucky Home,' and 'Uncle Ned,' can make the heart sad as well as merry, and can call forth a tear as well as a smile. They awaken the sympathies for the slave, in which anti-slavery principles take root, grow, and flourish." - Frederick Douglass, My Bondage and My Freedom, 1855

Obviously the song has a lot of racist elements to it, but I found Douglass's take interesting.

Personally, I really like this rendition of "The Girl I Left Behind Me," but it's more the British version than the American one:

This modern rendition of "Hard Times Come Again No More" is quite good:

This was an early favorite of mine (and the soldiers) - "Home Sweet Home":

And this is probably the best rendition of "Battle Hymn of the Republic" I've ever heard. As one of the YouTube comments said - "She woke up that morning, and decided that she was gonna CUT UP!!!!"
Iron & Wine's rendition of Hard Times Come Again No More I think is one of the best versions, if not the best, version I have heard.

Gary Owen and Glory. Unfortunately Custer's song, from the movie I've seen about him, but a great tune none the less.
I tend to take Garryowen at it's origin, a late 18th century Irish jig that was a drinking song of affluent young Irishmen in Limerick. They frequented an area known as Owen's Garden, Gairdín being Irish for garden. It overlooked the River Shannon. The Australian, British, and Canadian military used the tune as well as the American military.

In Scottish Gaelic it resembles the English title Gary Owen (or Garryowen) even more - Gàradh Eòghainn

Last edited:
Back