Favorite Non-National Park Service American Civil War Battlefield

* Parker's Crossroads Battlefield.

DSC_0080.JPG

* The Battle of Davis Bridge.

DSC_0481.JPG

It's not a park per se or even a battlefield technically, but in Lexington Va. you can find the adjoining campuses of the Virginia Military Institute and Washington & Lee University. Gen. David Hunter and several thousand of his men made an unwelcome visit to Lexington in 1864, burning the main structure of VMI and temporarily occupying the campus of W&L. The modern visitor can visit Lee's gravesite at W&L's Lee Chapel or the military museum at VMI, so it has a park-like feel. If you visit at the right time, you can even see the VMI cadets on dress parade in antique-style uniforms. As an added bonus, the campuses are hard by downtown Lexington, which contains numerous ante-bellum structures (Hunter did not burn the town) and other points of historical interest.

c0377284ed7a3d71527ad05a80a4cc47.jpg

1adc864063131b8766750d590ca98fd4.jpg

318684433d5b1752befd5b7212f434e2.jpg

LeeChaple_students.jpg

Last edited:
Now that I got to visit it last summer, Perryville ranks right up there with New Market for me.

Corydon is neat, not a lot of people know about that battle. The park there is small but much of the line is still pretty undisturbed although most of it is on private property.

There are also a ton of forts out there that are well preserved such as Fort McAllister or Fort Gaines.

I add or agree that Perryville in Ky. is a great site. Also will add Jefferson Davis Birthplace, in Ky., Battle of Corydon in Corydon, Indiana and Columbus Belmont State Park, Ky.
I was going to mention Columbus Belmont SP as well, but there were too many to choose from. The earthworks are very impressive.

I was going to mention Columbus Belmont SP as well, but there were too many to choose from. The earthworks are very impressive.

I started this thread with breaking down my list to one. My favorite was a tie and then my list grew legs!

Bill

I have had the opportunity to visit a lot of National Park Service American Civil War battlefields and sites. I have also had the opportunity to visit a ton of non-National Park Service American Civil War battlefields and sites. This thread is about non-National Park Service American Civil War battlefields and sites........

My favorite non-National Park Service American Civil War battlefields is a tie!

* The Perryville Battlefield State Historic Site near Perryville, Kentucky.

View attachment 125328

* The Averasboro Battlefield in Dunn, North Carolina.

View attachment 125329

Prairie Grove, Arkansas. -- Battlefield Now

prarie_grove_battlefield_state_park_in_arkansas_photo_splitrail.jpg

Prairie Grove, Arkansas -- Battlefield Then

battle-of-prairie-grove.jpg

Prairie Grove Story

I have not received a reply from Bruce, via email. I hope everything is okay with the former Oklahoma State Trooper.

Bill
Yeah. I clicked on the link again yesterday and it is still not working. Coupla weeks ago it was all good again.

iit's really not much of a park when me and my brothers and sisters were little my mother and father would take us to Eisenhower park in Nassau County for picnics and cookouts it's not much but as a little kid it was everything.

Has any one been to Raymond, MS? The park there is now the only Civil War battlefield park in the US to have a one to one ratio of artillery on display (on correct locations) with the actual artillery engaged.
I was there on 2/11/2017 and had a great time. Had it all to myself.

Back