Favorite Non-National Park Service American Civil War Battlefield

Battle of Blakley. Back in the day it was all IP land and was wide open. Now there is a small state park that only took a few acres of the battlefield. No pesky rangers. :dance:

For those that cannot get an opportunity to visit many battlefields member @Buckeye Bill introduced me to this site a couple of years ago and some of his photo essays are posted on this site.this site covers more battlefields then any other site out there.great site,you will spend a lot of time here.

civilwarablum.com/site_index.htm

I do not know why this site won't load.if you put the address in your browser it should.

http://www.civilwaralbum.com/misc19/defense1.htm

This is one of my threads on Bruce's web site. I am not sure on why some pages will not load. Bruce has been busy in life since his son entered the U.S. Navy.

Bill

For those that cannot get an opportunity to visit many battlefields member @Buckeye Bill introduced me to this site a couple of years ago and some of his photo essays are posted on this site.this site covers more battlefields then any other site out there.great site,you will spend a lot of time here.

civilwarablum.com/site_index.htm

I do not know why this site won't load.if you put the address in your browser it should.
Yep...this is a great site...I found it by accident one day.

4 way tie: Franklin, North Anna, Sailor's Creek, and Fort Pillow.

Fort Pillow State Historical Park.
Not a lot there but it has a personal meaning to me. It has a few cannon and an interpretive center. It is a nice park to hike during cooler weather. A controversal battle that meeds to be seen to be understood.

I have been to Perryville and enjoyed following the battle events.

Photos of Fort Pillow State Park.
FtPillow0.jpg

FtPillow1.jpg

FtPillow3.jpg

Last edited:
Fort Pillow State Historical Park.
Not a lot there but it has a personal meaning to me. It has a few cannon and an interpretive center. It is a nice park to hike during cooler weather. A controversal battle that meeds to be seen to be understood.

I have been to Perryville and enjoyed following the battle events.

Photos of Fort Pillow State Park.
View attachment 125420
View attachment 125422
View attachment 125421
I would definitely like to see Perryville.

I would definitely like to see Perryville.

I would recommend it. I made a special trip across 2 states to visit the battlefield and see a real Williams Gun at the Kentucky Museum in Frankfort. A group here in CWT were planning a group trip but postponed it for the actual anniversary date. I could not make it then so I went on my own. I wanted to see it because it was a battle that I had not studied enough to fully understand where units were on the field and what factors played a role in the battle.

Example of the terrain.
Jones' Brigade & 30th Mississippi Regiment crossed this creek in their advance on center of Union line.
They advanced and held their position but were stopped by a low, boggy depression between the creek and the distant ridge line.

Perryville_n.jpg

The Cedar Mountain Battlefield is a peach! The Civil War Trust has done a wonderful job building up this site. The cannon placed at The Gate was an awesome compliment to this battlefield. Thank you, Gettysburg National Military Park, Civil War Trust and Garry Adelman!

IMG_20160809_060652.jpg

* Cannon used to be placed at General Robert E. Lee's headquarters (Thompson House) at Gettysburg.

Battle of Lexington State Historic Site in Lexington, Missouri is always a fun trip. The battle, known as the Battle of the Hemp Bales offers a battlefield view of the Missouri and if you are there at the right time, a tour of the Anderson House.

View attachment 125505

I love the photo of the cannon ball embedded in the Lafayette County Courthouse pillar! The photographer has a wonderful eye...... lololol

Bill

I love the photo of the cannon ball embedded in the Lafayette County Courthouse pillar! The photographer has a wonderful eye...... lololol

Bill
Yes! There you have it! Even Lexington is a big deal sort of battlefield as far as I am concerned. Bill, you know that I like the really obscure battlefields that almost no one knows about any more--those around my home town. I'm talking about places like the Petite Saline, the Main and Vine Street barricade in 1864, the old hospital grounds on east Morgan Street, Rawlings Lane in Howard County, and several more right here within a mile or two of where I sit. Very few people know of them anymore, but I know of them and they are my favorites.

Mansfield holds a special place in my heart, because my daddy took me when I was five, so that was my first battlefield.
And this year we returned to Franklin, which affected my mother's family so severely.
But for pure fun, I do believe Brice's Crossroads hits the mark.... beautifully done by the state of Mississippi and Civil War Trust...

Mansfield holds a special place in my heart, because my daddy took me when I was five, so that was my first battlefield.
And this year we returned to Franklin, which affected my mother's family so severely.
But for pure fun, I do believe Brice's Crossroads hits the mark.... beautifully done by the state of Mississippi and Civil War Trust...

Mansfield is on my "Bucket List."

Back