Favorite Non-National Park Service American Civil War Battlefield

Buckeye Bill

Captain
Forum Host
Annual Winner
I have had the opportunity to visit a lot of National Park Service American Civil War battlefields and sites. I have also had the opportunity to visit a ton of non-National Park Service American Civil War battlefields and sites. This thread is about non-National Park Service American Civil War battlefields and sites........

My favorite non-National Park Service American Civil War battlefields is a tie!

* The Perryville Battlefield State Historic Site near Perryville, Kentucky.

DSC_0077.JPG

* The Averasboro Battlefield in Dunn, North Carolina.

DSC_0134.JPG

Last edited:
I would have to go with Richmond (the one in Kentucky) and Perryville because both of them have accomplished a great deal with only private and local funds.

Phillip Seyfrit and Company have done a wonderful job with this American Civil War battlefield! The museum at the Rodgers House is top notch.

Bill

Louisiana's Mansfield State Historic Site is pretty cool. You can see it, here.

"At noon on April 8, the head of the disorganized Union army (6,400 troops) was confronted by the Confederate army (10,500 troops) in battle formation. The Union troops quickly formed a line of battle along a rail fence and a ridge known as Honeycutt Hill. On orders from Taylor, General Alfred Mouton's Division charged the rail fence. Mouton was killed leading the attack, but French born General C. J. Polignac, along with other Confederate forces, continued the attack and overwhelmed the Union line."

Polignac Monument.jpg

(Photograph is mine)

For those that cannot get an opportunity to visit many battlefields member @Buckeye Bill introduced me to this site a couple of years ago and some of his photo essays are posted on this site.this site covers more battlefields then any other site out there.great site,you will spend a lot of time here.

civilwarablum.com/site_index.htm

I do not know why this site won't load.if you put the address in your browser it should.

Last edited:
For those that cannot get an opportunity to visit many battlefields member @Buckeye Bill introduced me to this site a couple of years ago and some of his photo essays are posted on this site.this site covers more battlefields then any other site out there.great site,you will spend a lot of time here.

www.civilwarablum.com/site_index.htm
I believe the owner of that site failed to renew the domain.

Back