Favorite Non-National Park Service American Civil War Battlefield

Tony Z

Corporal
Bentonville, Fort Fisher, New Market.....

I like most that are removed from development and mischief of those that want to profiteer off the blood of our ancestors, ignoring their memories and sacrifies.

BillWright

Private
Copies of my archaeological reports

E1F119C0-A69A-457A-81A9-AA71FAC17D64.jpeg

mofederal

Major
The various parts of the battle of Westport in the Kansas City area, but especially Bryam's Ford. I also the site of the mortal wounding of Capt. George Todd. Todd was wounded in the neck during the fighting in Independence on Oct. 21, 1864, dying two hours later. i believe the site of his wounding is or was an elementary school playground.

34617369306_857262a609_c.jpg

gjpratt

Corporal
I was in New Bern NC earlier this month and swung by the battlefield park. Very much worth a visit if you are in the area. This was the 1862 battle contesting Burnside’s expedition. The battle was geographically compact and the tactics were straightforward. The redans and earthworks are well preserved west of highway 70, which is where the battle was decided. Very walkable.

There is another set of Confederate outer works s few miles south that did not factor in the battle. Information at the park said they are visible on both sides of the road at the historical marker. I was driving north so missed tthat.

1627303325771.jpeg

James N.

Colonel
Forum Host
Annual Winner
Featured Book Reviewer
Asst. Regtl. Quartermaster Antietam 2021
The various parts of the battle of Westport in the Kansas City area, but especially Bryam's Ford. I also the site of the mortal wounding of Capt. George Todd. Todd was wounded in the neck during the fighting in Independence on Oct. 21, 1864, dying two hours later. i believe the site of his wounding is or was an elementary school playground.

View attachment 409288
I presume that's the ford depicted in N. C. Wyeth's mural in the State Capitol building?

Wilsons-cropped-better.jpg

willimd1

Cadet
As mentioned...Aversboro, Bentonville, but also Wyse Fork, Goldsboro Bridge and White Hall. All about 1 hour from me.

Buckeye Bill

Captain
Forum Host
Annual Winner
I was in New Bern NC earlier this month and swung by the battlefield park. Very much worth a visit if you are in the area. This was the 1862 battle contesting Burnside’s expedition. The battle was geographically compact and the tactics were straightforward. The redans and earthworks are well preserved west of highway 70, which is where the battle was decided. Very walkable.

There is another set of Confederate outer works s few miles south that did not factor in the battle. Information at the park said they are visible on both sides of the road at the historical marker. I was driving north so missed tthat.

View attachment 409296

My wife and I have a personal tour scheduled for August 23. This will be my first visit to this battlefield park.

Bill

JeffFromSyracuse

Corporal
View attachment 409219

I just remembered another very fine non-NPS site that has yet to be mentioned, the Third Winchester Battlefield at Winchester in the Shenandoah Valley of Virginia. Unfortunately it only consists of the central portion of the complete battlefield and is somewhat remote for vehicular traffic - a good thing, historically speaking! It has several miles of walking trails and has been interpreted nicely.

View attachment 409220
I was there a year ago, and a lot of the signs were beat up or taken down completely.