Favorite Non-National Park Service American Civil War Battlefield

Fewer ads. Lots of American Civil War content!
JOIN NOW: REGISTER HERE!
Battle of Big Buckhead aka Buckhead Church and Big Buckhead Creek.
Remove the asphalt and GA Power lines....virtually "untouched" I've visited hundreds of ACW sites major and minor but, Buckhead Church and Creek, Perkins GA is truly the one ACW site where you feel the conflict. I mean there are hoof prints still visible in the church floor where horses were ridden inside, the pilings of the burned bridge are sometimes visible if creek water level dips, the morass is probably identical today as it was 153 years ago, the breastworks, rifle pits, top side artillery fragments are still there. To those who might visit please just visit and take pictures please don't take anything but photos and memories.

Attachments

JeffBrooks

Sergeant Major
I would put Bentonville on the top of my list. I also might include Olustee down in Florida, where they have some some pretty good things on what appears to be a shoestring budget.

Has any one been to Raymond, MS? The park there is now the only Civil War battlefield park in the US to have a one to one ratio of artillery on display (on correct locations) with the actual artillery engaged.
I was at Raymond about a year-and-a-half ago. It's amazing that the sight even exists and it only does because of the dedication of a lot of citizen-activists. With a bit more funding, they could turn it into a thoroughgoing battlefield park.

BrianB

Private
I was at Raymond about a year-and-a-half ago. It's amazing that the sight even exists and it only does because of the dedication of a lot of citizen-activists. With a bit more funding, they could turn it into a thoroughgoing battlefield park.
Jeff- The key person is Parker Hills, a retired commander of the Mississippi National Guard. He has dedicated a number of years to make that park become a reality, and is very knowledgeable on the Vicksburg Campaign in general.

He did a thorough archeological sweep of the site several years ago, and got gps coordinates on hundreds of artifacts, which allowed him to locate the firing lines of several specific regiments.

MHB1862

Corporal
New Market, VA is very well done and worth the stop if you find yourself driving up or down I 81

gary

Captain
Only been to a handful: Pamplin (excellent), Pickett's Mill (Georgia State Park and well worth the effort), Saylor's Creek (excellent job done by Virginia State Park System), Franklin (Carter House specifically), Nashville (go only in daytime, was told the fort gets overrun by druggies). I like to see Fort Blakely in Mobile and Port Hudson some day.

Hoseman

Corporal
I went to Pamplin Park near Petersburg yesterday and it was excellent. It sits on the site where union troops broke through the lines on April 2, 1865.