Favorite non-CW places near Antietam

Fewer ads. Lots of American Civil War content!
JOIN NOW: REGISTER HERE!

Andrew

Corporal
My wife and I have visited Antietam a handful of times, but we have always just hiked for a few hours and then headed back home (we're an hour or so away in VA). It was only recently that I discovered (through this forum) that we've been missing out on Nutter's Ice Cream:nah disagree: . We'll probably head up there again soon, so I wanted to know if anyone had any other recommendations for nearby places to go not related to the war: Good cheap food, interesting shops, or other sites. Bonus points given for dog-friendly places and gluten-free foods.

Karen_J

Private
Top of South Mountain has a stone observation tower that was used during the war; built as the first memorial in America to honor George Washington. From Sharpsburg, drive to the center of Boonsboro and turn right. Also, the center of Boonsboro has a cute little bookstore. The top of South Mountain has a nice, historic restaurant, but it isn't cheap.

In the opposite direction from Sharpsburg, there is a C&O Canal visitor's center on the Maryland side of the river, just before you cross into Shepherdstown. That town has several cute shops and several restaurants. The Bavarian Inn is just outside of downtown overlooking the river. Its downstairs tavern has mid-priced food.

The courthouse in Charles Town, WV was the site of the trial of John Brown. They have framed eyewitness sketches in the first floor hallway. Of course, Harper's Ferry is just a few miles further down the road.

ole

Brev. Brig. Gen'l
Retired Moderator
My wife and I have visited Antietam a handful of times, but we have always just hiked for a few hours and then headed back home (we're an hour or so away in VA). It was only recently that I discovered (through this forum) that we've been missing out on Nutter's Ice Cream:nah disagree: . We'll probably head up there again soon, so I wanted to know if anyone had any other recommendations for nearby places to go not related to the war: Good cheap food, interesting shops, or other sites. Bonus points given for dog-friendly places and gluten-free foods.
Last time I spent any time there, we stayed in Martinsburg, and there was a bar/burger joint in Sharpsburg. Know nothing of Nutter's.

Beyond Nutter's, no one has mentioned eats in Sharpsburg lately. Kinda like Perryville which, the last time I was there, lunch in town was Marathon or Standard. Or Shiloh which has exactly one restaurant within 2 miles of the entrance to the park (not at all bad if you like catfish).

But, that is their charm. Almost totally isolated and pristine.

Karen_J

Private
Beyond Nutter's, no one has mentioned eats in Sharpsburg lately.
I didn't see anything else. There's no money in that town, and it isn't that far to the other well-established options. I stood in line 20 minutes at Nutter's. It's on a side street in the middle of town, just 50 feet from the main street. The line makes it easy to spot.

Andrew

Corporal
I made it out there this weekend and went to Nutter's. I guess we got there at a good time because there was no line. The ice cream was good, and the prices were great.

Thanks for the other suggestions.

ErnieMac

Brigadier General
Forum Host
Silver Patron
Much depends on what you enjoy doing. C&O Canal is good for hiking and biking with a lot of interesting sidelights. Appalachian Trail runs along the crest of South Mountain. The War Correspondent's Memorial is at the crest of South Mountain at Crampton's Gap (Burkittsville MD). Martinsburg hosts an Apple Harvest Festival in mid-October. Edit: Forgot to mention canoeing and tubing on the Potomac.

Last edited:

John Winn

Captain
If you do go to Martinsburg and you like old cemeteries check out Old Norbourne. And I'm not sure if they give tours but you might check out Boydville, the estate of Charles James Faulkner. It's an impressive, historic place (and John Winn's sisters lived there !). It has new owners who I think mostly do weddings but you could always say you were thinking of getting married.

CraftyMauiMamma

Private
I know this is a late post, but maybe next time you go check out Burkholder's Baked Goods at 106 High St toward the residential area near Nutters. It's a Mennonite bakery set up inside a house, we went for the best donuts ever and a quart of milk. Yum yum yum.

Attachments