Favorite "Modern" Civil War Artists

I am fortunate enough, (in my very humble opinion), to own several Civil War and Napoleonic art prints. One thing I learned after buying my first in 1987 was not to pay any attention to "art critics". Their idea of art was my idea of trash.

I'm still a little perplexed as to just what is meant by the word "modern" in the title of this thread.
I should have been more specific. There have been quite a few artists in more recent times that have become well known as CW artists or at least HISTORICAL. Mort Kuentsler, Rick Reeves and Troioni for example. I didn't mean to slight the older ones. (The late H. Charles McBarron Jr. Is one of my favs of the older painters). With the wealth of information and research out there the accuracy level is outstanding.

I would say Don Troiani is excellent. He has a passion for getting it right with regards to uniforms and weapons. His battle paintings put you right in the middle of all the action.

I'd appreciate it if more of you would post pictures of your favourite paintings. They are quite interesting, and it helps to see the style differences of the various artists. Great thread!

Well, these two are long dead, but they were present and on the field...
Most know the life of John Wise Chapman. His father, his brother and he were all artists, who were unsuccessful in managing their finances, so all died almost penniless...but Chapman saw combat on the field, as a soldier in 3rd Kentucky Infantry, and was shot at Battle of Shiloh ( accounts of this wound vary ). Afterwards, his father arranged for him the complete his service in Virginia with the Wise Brigade. The collection of 30-odd paintings of the Charleston fortifications commissioned by Beauregard are famous in their own right, including the Hunley one.
I guess this portrait of him represents his Virginia service? ( Wikipedia)
75299FC1-1A85-4522-8B32-D4BA190141C0.jpeg

The other battlefield artist I admire is Winslow Homer. His facial expressions are remarkable.
Here’s the beautiful and moving “Prisoners from the Front” painting:
02D68C63-A511-4318-85D3-E0D2D94392E2.jpeg

One can feel the dignity in the faces of these defeated Confederates who are captured here with Gen. Barlow.

I have a coffee table size book of his rough sketches and completed paintings during that period..If you enjoy Civil War Battlefield Art, it’s worth taking a look at some point....
61E2D51A-21A6-436B-B9F3-944716B9A0F9.jpeg

Well, these two are long dead, but they were present and on the field...
Most know the life of John Wise Chapman. His father, his brother and he were all artists, who were unsuccessful in managing their finances, so all died almost penniless...but Chapman saw combat on the field, as a soldier in 3rd Kentucky Infantry, and was shot at Battle of Shiloh ( accounts of this wound vary ). Afterwards, his father arranged for him the complete his service in Virginia with the Wise Brigade. The collection of 30-odd paintings of the Charleston fortifications commissioned by Beauregard are famous in their own right, including the Hunley one.
I guess this portrait of him represents his Virginia service? ( Wikipedia)
View attachment 404496

The other battlefield artist I admire is Winslow Homer. His facial expressions are remarkable.
Here’s the beautiful and moving “Prisoners from the Front” painting:
View attachment 404500
One can feel the dignity in the faces of these defeated Confederates who are captured here with Gen. Barlow.

I have a coffee table size book of his rough sketches and completed paintings during that period..If you enjoy Civil War Battlefield Art, it’s worth taking a look at some point....
View attachment 404506
Winslow Homer is one of my favorite Civil War artists too

Back