Favorite Main Dishes and Vegetables for Christmas Holiday Meals

Fewer ads. Lots of American Civil War content!
JOIN NOW: REGISTER HERE!

donna

Brev. Brig. Gen'l
Forum Host
Posted thread on favorite cookies and candies for Christmas, so thought start one on main dishes and vegetables.

One of my favorites was my Granny's Christmas Beets. She always made them for Christmas dinner. Being red she said they were her Christmas Beets.

2 tablespoons oil
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 tablespoon cornstarch
4 tablespoons vinegar
1/4 cup water
12 small beets

Mix sugar, cornstarch. Add vinegar, oil and water. Boil 5 minutes stirring constantly. Add beats. Cover and simmer 20 minutes. Serve in a festive dish, they add such color to the table.

Anna Elizabeth Henry

1st Lieutenant
Silver Patron
I've done a similar beet salad cold in the summer but with onions and more oil and vinegar. Love beets, I think they are underappreciated vegetables as they are so tasty, nutritious and versatile.

Anna Elizabeth Henry

1st Lieutenant
Silver Patron
Thought I'd bump this thread back up for folks to share their favorite main and side dishes their families enjoy at the holiday. This unique mashed potato recipe I tried this Thanksgiving will be making a reappearance at Christmas. It's from Taste of the South Magazine.

Celery Root Potato Mash

Ingredients -
  • 2 pounds red potatoes, unpeeled
  • 1 pound celery root, peeled and cut into 1-inch cubes
  • 3 teaspoons kosher salt, divided
  • 1⁄2 cup plus 3 tablespoons unsalted butter, cubed and divided
  • 1⁄2 cup sour cream
  • 2 tablespoons prepared horseradish
  • Garnish: chopped fresh chives

Instructions - https://www.tasteofthesouthmagazine.com/celery-root-potato-mash/

Deleted User CS

Retired User
Donna. Beets is one vegetable I have never brought myself to trying. When mother made them for my father they always smelled very good and looked delicious but I never broke down and tried them. She would roast them in the oven on a baking tray wrapped in tin foil. Thanks for sharing your family recipe. David.

Deleted User CS

Retired User
I love having roasted Brussel sprouts as one of our main vegetables at Christmas dinner. After cleaning the sprouts I cut them in half and place them on a baking pan and simply salt and pepper the sprouts and drizzle them with a little olive oil and roast them in a 350 degree oven for 30 minutes, more or less. After taking them out of the oven I like to sprinkle them with cooked bacon. David.

Anna Elizabeth Henry

1st Lieutenant
Silver Patron
I love having roasted Brussel sprouts as one of our main vegetables at Christmas dinner. After cleaning the sprouts I cut them in half and place them on a baking pan and simply salt and pepper the sprouts and drizzle them with a little olive oil and roast them in a 350 degree oven for 30 minutes, more or less. After taking them out of the oven I like to sprinkle them with cooked bacon. David.
Sounds simple and yummy! Always a good combination at the holidays, especially! :thumbsup: