Favorite Larry Cockerham quotes

unionblue

Brev. Brig. Gen'l
Member of the Year
To All,

Just thought this might be our own, special memorial to Larry.

Over the years, Larry gave us many a memorable saying or line. If you have a particular favorite, I would appreciate you putting it here for all of us to enjoy...and remember.

Thanks.
Unionblue

One that I just found by Larry struck me in a very strange way.

"No one believes in ghosts.......until they meet one."

From the Hauntings of the Great Rebellion section, Fort Pillow thread, 02-10-2011.

This is from September from facebook:

" Sometimes I go down to Winstead Hill and sit and watch. I'm apparently too old to be taken for a pervert, so I learn a lot just watching folks' faces as they stop and reflect. I sometimes ask if they know what went on here or can I help you orient yourself with the battle.... All kinds of responses, usually the folks from out of state are seemingly appreciative. Some are obviously just there to run up the many steps to the top. Takes all kinds."

Larry on Col Sanders Chicken.... fall 2010

"And now, a few years after the demise of Col. Sanders, that too has gone to pot. The eleven herbs and spices must have spoiled or been lost. All them mashed taters, back when they were real, were apparently not so good for us. Alas, they were enjoyable. I miss the original recipe. Chickens that live on concrete just never develop the flavor that the old birds had. Now they hire cooks who couln't identify a chicken if it walked across the road and whizzed on their foot."

Larry was extremely funny.

Still trying to catch my breath after the comment on Col. Sanders Chicken!

UB, thanks so much for starting this thread. It will do alot of hearts alot of good.

--BBF

"I hope the shows over there are better than the junk we have here," ~ Larry's comment on my reply to what my favorite American TV shows were on the chat room.

Larry was .............. well ............... Larry. He'd attack me for ants and I'd attack him for being a Tar Heel. We had a lot of fun attacking each other. And now I'm leaking again. Sorry.

I think Ole that was one of my first encounters with Larry. He welcomed me when I first joined and then warn me about your log that was filled with ants. In his honor, I will randomly welcome new recruits and warn them about your fire ants in your log. That is if you do not mind Ole.

I think Ole that was one of my first encounters with Larry. He welcomed me when I first joined and then warn me about your log that was filled with ants. In his honor, I will randomly welcome new recruits and warn them about your fire ants in your log. That is if you do not mind Ole.
The back story is that I would welcome members, tell them they had to bring beer to the campfire and that they could share my log. So Larry, being Larry, would warn the same newbie that my log was infested with ants.

I don't mind, firefite, but without my invitation to share my log, the ant reference doesn't make sense.

To All,

Just thought this might be our own, special memorial to Larry.

Over the years, Larry gave us many a memorable saying or line. If you have a particular favorite, I would appreciate you putting it here for all of us to enjoy...and remember.

Thanks.
Unionblue

One that I just found by Larry struck me in a very strange way.

"No one believes in ghosts.......until they meet one."

From the Hauntings of the Great Rebellion section, Fort Pillow thread, 02-10-2011.

I thought the same thing when I saw that post a couple of days after his passing.

Larry on the NBF boyhood home....Jan 2011

I drove by the 'homeplace' yesterday 4335 Pyles Road, Chapel Hill, Tennessee. All is well, the restoration\preservation of the barn of William Forrest is now nearly completed except for the east shed and the interior. (The interior wiill be used for 'secure' storage.) Many improvements continue to be made to the entrance road. There are many parts and projects that need your physical assist and your dollars. Keep us in mind. Fundraiser and "homecoming" coming up June 18. Make plans to enjoy a day in the sunny South! [For you rich or near rich folks, this is totally tax deductable.....] Go to SCV website.​

Last fall Larry and another fellow and I were traveling the very narrow back roads looking for the Union Cavalry camp on Sugar Creek. Larry, on seeing a pickup truck coming toward us on this small gravel road said: "Keep your eyes on his hands. If he raises two fingers as we pass, then everything will be OK". As the truck got closer to us, Larry raised his two fingers on one hand in a greeting to the other driver. The driver of the truck waited until he was almost beside us when he answered the greeting with two fingers of his left hand. "Well, no banjos this time" Larry said as the truck past us making it's way down the dirt road.

One of my biggest regrets was not meeting Larry before he passed away. I will always regret that.

When I visited the Forrest home and saw his efforts at rebuilding a part of it, I had the very real feeling that he would come up from behind, tap me on the shoulder, and hand me a hammer and nails, smiling the whole time he put 'Unionblue' to work on the Wizard's barn.

I miss him every time I log onto this forum.

Sincerely,
Unionblue

Back