Favorite Facial Hair Contest! Questions answered.

Mike Serpa

Major
There is lots interest in the Favorite Facial Hair Contest! I received many questions about the photos and how I chose them. I decided to post twelve just as I received them. (Names were changed to protect the innocent.)

Q. What is the source of the photos?
Chill-erz, West Texas

A. The Library of Congress and the National Archives.

Q. What size are the photos?
West Tennessee Boots, Port of Kings, TN

A. Most are 480x700 pixels. A few are smaller.

Q. How many photos are there?
HandyPaul, Texas

A. As this contest is similar to a college basketball tournament, there are 64 photos.

Q. Will we see framed photos such as daguerreotypes?
camp351PA

A. No.

Q. Did you digitally restored all the photos?
yellowthornofmississippi, California

A. Yes.

Q. Is it true a photo Custer is not included in the contest because he would easily win?
Pat Old, Short Island, NY

A. Yes.

Q. Mr. Serpa, will you please show us an example of a photo?
Respectfully, confederategray

A. Yes. See below.

Q. Did you spend a lot of time on this contest?
credit, Right there.

A. Yes

Q. Do we get to nominate people?
Spark E. Menkins, Central Iowa

A. Sorry, no. I did not want to spend extra time finding and restoring photos I did not have.

Q. Will you explain your photo selection process?
Nearby Fiend, Germany

A. I looked through more than 600 restored photos and chose 64 I thought would make a good representation of different facial hair styles.

Q. Will there be photos of officers from both the USA and the CSA?
jbadguy

A. Yes. I tried to get a good mixture of officers from the Union Army and Navy and the Confederate Army. More USA photos are available so expect to see less CSA photos.

Q. This seems like a very difficult task that only you can handle without having a nervous breakdown. Are you okay?
General Watkins, OK

A. A-okay, General Watkins.

not involved.jpg

Custer is not included in the contest because he would easily win.

If anyone else has questions about the photos please post them here. I will get into specifics about the contest soon. Photos only questions in this thread. Thank you.

Now I'm wishing I had submitted my question about how would the winner receive his/her (guessing most but not necessarily all of the contenders were male) prize, whether the gift card would be ceremoniously laid at their gravesite or most recognized monument, or mailed Pony Express to the nearest living next of kin (I suppose if a verifiable descendant of the winner were a member of civilwartalk.com it could be faxed to them), if only to see my username properly butchered

Last edited by a moderator:
Why would Custer necessarily win if the contest is restricted to facial, as opposed to head hair? It looks to me as though Custer would win on his elaborate head ringlets but not simply on the basis of his mustache.
Anyway, just a thought.

Now I'm wishing I had submitted my question about how would the winner receive his/her (guessing most but not necessarily all of the contenders were male) prize, whether the gift card would be ceremoniously laid at their gravesite or most recognized monument, or mailed Pony Express to the nearest living next of kin (I suppose if a verifiable descendant of the winner were a member of cwt.com it could be faxed to them), if only to see my username properly butchered
You've been catching me off guard with your replies! I can't think of a snappy comeback. 'Butchered' is much too harsh. It wouldn't be difficult to 'modify' your username, Rich Sharecropper's Daughter. :smile:

Why would Custer necessarily win if the contest is restricted to facial, as opposed to head hair? It looks to me as though Custer would win on his elaborate head ringlets but not simply on the basis of his mustache.
Anyway, just a thought.
jackt62, you are much too new to know my sense of humor*. I fabricated the questions and usernames to make known the information about the upcoming Favorite Facial Hair Contest.

*At least I think I have a sense of humor.

jackt62, you are much too new to know my sense of humor*. I fabricated the questions and usernames to make known the information about the upcoming Favorite Facial Hair Contest.

*At least I think I have a sense of humor.

I guess I will eventually come around to your sense of humor! Anyway, can't wait too see the contestants.

There is lots interest in the Favorite Facial Hair Contest! I received many questions about the photos and how I chose them. I decided to post twelve just as I received them. (Names were changed to protect the innocent.)

Q. What is the source of the photos?
Chill-erz, West Texas

A. The Library of Congress and the National Archives.

Q. What size are the photos?
West Tennessee Boots, Port of Kings, TN

A. Most are 480x700 pixels. A few are smaller.

Q. How many photos are there?
HandyPaul, Texas

A. As this contest is similar to a college basketball tournament, there are 64 photos.

Q. Will we see framed photos such as daguerreotypes?
camp351PA

A. No.

Q. Did you digitally restored all the photos?
yellowthornofmississippi, California

A. Yes.

Q. Is it true a photo Custer is not included in the contest because he would easily win?
Pat Old, Short Island, NY

A. Yes.

Q. Mr. Serpa, will you please show us an example of a photo?
Respectfully, confederategray

A. Yes. See below.

Q. Did you spend a lot of time on this contest?
credit, Right there.

A. Yes

Q. Do we get to nominate people?
Spark E. Menkins, Central Iowa

A. Sorry, no. I did not want to spend extra time finding and restoring photos I did not have.

Q. Will you explain your photo selection process?
Nearby Fiend, Germany

A. I looked through more than 600 restored photos and chose 64 I thought would make a good representation of different facial hair styles.

Q. Will there be photos of officers from both the USA and the CSA?
jbadguy

A. Yes. I tried to get a good mixture of officers from the Union Army and Navy and the Confederate Army. More USA photos are available so expect to see less CSA photos.

Q. This seems like a very difficult task that only you can handle without having a nervous breakdown. Are you okay?
General Watkins, OK

A. A-okay, General Watkins.

View attachment 75651
Custer is not included in the contest because he would easily win.

If anyone else has questions about the photos please post them here. I will get into specifics about the contest soon. Photos only questions in this thread. Thank you.
:D I can't wait!!!

Give me a head with hair, long beautiful hair
Shining, gleaming, streaming, flaxen, waxen
Give me down to there, hair, shoulder length or longer
Here baby, there, momma, everywhere, daddy, daddy

Hair, flow it, show it
Long as God can grow, my hair!

9078055_f520.jpg

Buffalo Bill Cody and General Custer should have had a hair battle.
If you're able to put those words to music and sing along with the tune, you're at least as old as I am, maybe older! :roflmao:

Back