Favorite battle

I also happened to come across this cannon located near Hancock ave Ziegler grove area. It looks like it burst some how, maybe from firing during the war? Has anyone else ever seen this cannon?
93CB1486-EC2A-4558-893A-FD5FAE470483.jpeg
0102FB86-7739-49CE-A6F2-A67A226DAB93.jpeg

20yr75.jpg

Eastern Theatre:
*First Bull Run
*Antietam
*Gettysburg
*Petersburg

Western Theatre:
*Shiloh
*Vicksburg
*Port Hudson
*Chickamauga

Trans-Mississippi Theatre:
*First Lexington
*Pea Ridge
*Poison Spring
*Jenkins Ferry

Have only been researching the war for about six months, after reading the accounts of Fort Sumter in the "War of the Rebellion" I'd have to say Sumter is the most interesting for me. Eighty-five men "holding down the fort" for as long as they did took a lot of courage. On the political side, the governor of SC gave Anderson plenty of opportunity to surrender with some degree of dignity, knowing that this battle would probably lead to full on war.

I'm pretty new to studying the Civil War and most of what I study doesn't really have a pitched battle, so I'm going to go with First Kernstown. It's the first battle that intrigued me enough to start hunting down book-length studies of it.

Missionary Ridge in Tenn. Chickamauga in Ga. In the East Chancellorsville and Gettysburg, Kelly's Ford and Brandy Station. Many battles in Missouri, but primarily Westport during Price's Raid. I have also done some research on Lonejack.

Last edited:
I guess I have always been interested in the Civil War. My earliest dreams that I remember were about the Civil War long before I studied it. I heard the stories about my great-grandfather and my mom's uncle both of whom fought in the war, and were in the GAR together. I had a sparked reinterest in the war during high school, but it began in earnest in college. I had three recurring dreams from an early age. a battle in the Civil War, a WWII battle, and a very bad nightmare about being aboard a sinking big ship and drowning. Many years later I unravelled the mysteries of the dreams. They were most likely Shiloh, Normandy and the Titanic. These dreams haunted me for years.

I’m curious to hear what your favorite battles to study are? I’d have to say the two I’m most interested in are Gettyburg and Antietam.
Having written a book about Chickamauga, I'd have to say it is the one that has interested me more than any other. I also enjoy studying Gettysburg. Fair to say that I have found the NPS folks at both battlefields to be friendly and helpful.

Having written a book about Chickamauga, I'd have to say it is the one that has interested me more than any other. I also enjoy studying Gettysburg. Fair to say that I have found the NPS folks at both battlefields to be friendly and helpful.
What’s the title of your book?

I love Centralia and Athens battlefields two smaller local ones that have been preserved. of larger ones I like Wilsons Creek, Lexington and Vicksburg. Vicksburg the entire campaign

Interesting question @P.B. Speegle! I hope a lot of members will respond. I continue to enjoy learning about Gettysburg, but I am fascinated by the Battle of the Wilderness. It was the first in Ulysses S. Grant's Overland Campaign, the terrain was a thick area of brush and my favorite Civil War general, Lieutenant General James Longstreet was severely wounded there by friendly fire.

I also find the Wilderness intriguing; I think the Union missed an opportunity there. Grant's concept was to get through the Wilderness as quickly as possible, fight in more open ground where they could bring their full strength to bear, retain the initiative, use maneuver rather than frontal assaults, and take advantage of the initial dispersal of Lee's units. Yet as soon as they made contact, they started deploying for an assault on Ewell, though giving the rebs time to throw up field fortifications. Meanwhile, with Ewell stopped on the Turnpike, Hill continued advancing on the Orange Plank Road, putting his corps between the bulk of the Union army and Hancock's corps, which by itself was considerably stronger than Hill's. There was a chance to cut off and destroy part of Lee's army, but all the AofP leadership could think of was the danger to themselves, so they scrambled to block Hill's advance, called Hancock back, and fought another head-on slugfest in the woods.

The second day Longstreet arrived, the Yankees' opportunity vanished, and the Confederates found a way to maneuver and launch a devastating flank attack in the same terrain that had so frustrated their opponents.

My favorite battle to study would be Wilson's Creek, followed by Pea Ridge and Dug Springs.

A list of battles I'm familiar with but would like to do more in depth study on would include:

- The First Battle of Springfield, Mo (Zagonyi's Charge)
- The Second Battle of Springfield, Mo
- Battle of Lexington, Mo
- Battle of Boonville, Mo
- Battle of Carthage, Mo

Back