fatigue - "Igo on fatigue to day"

suzzz45

Cadet
I'm blogging the journal of Corp. John F. Lester - Co. E 59th Regiment, Indiana Volunteer Infantry.
I completed the July 1863 entries of the 59th in Vicksburg. this is the first I've come across the word fatigue, the way it is used-
July 20, 1863- I go on fatigue to day
July 21, 1863- Our Co go on provest guard
at night relieved
July 23, 1863- Our Co go on picket guard
did not go
not well
July 30, 1863- I go on fatigue at the wharf
July 31, 1863- I go on picket guard

Lester's journal begins Nov. 14, 1861 when he volunteered. In Dec. 20, 1961 the Regiment was formally organized at Gosport, Indiana. "We drill and march arrangements for field service untill 1862."
http://thecivilwarjournalofjohnflester.blogspot.com/
Thank you for any explanation on the use of "fatigue".
Suzan
[email protected]

I'm blogging the journal of Corp. John F. Lester - Co. E 59th Regiment, Indiana Volunteer Infantry.
I completed the July 1863 entries of the 59th in Vicksburg. this is the first I've come across the word fatigue, the way it is used-
July 20, 1863- I go on fatigue to day
July 21, 1863- Our Co go on provest guard
at night relieved
July 23, 1863- Our Co go on picket guard
did not go
not well
July 30, 1863- I go on fatigue at the wharf
July 31, 1863- I go on picket guard

Lester's journal begins Nov. 14, 1861 when he volunteered. In Dec. 20, 1961 the Regiment was formally organized at Gosport, Indiana. "We drill and march arrangements for field service untill 1862."
http://thecivilwarjournalofjohnflester.blogspot.com/
Thank you for any explanation on the use of "fatigue".
Suzan
[email protected]

Deanbramwell was exactly right. Remember that between the fighting, there were long periods of time that the men were sitting in camp. Meanwhile, there were often many tasks other than training or guard duty that needed to be accomplished, like loading and unloading supplies, digging earthworks, cutting down trees and brush in front of earthworks to clear the line of fire, gathering firewood for fuel or fodder for the horses, repairing rail tracks, cutting roads through the woods, etc. Any of that could be considered fatigue duty.
Fatigue duty not only got important tasks accomplished. It was also good to keep the men's time occupied; otherwise they'd likely be getting into trouble. Can you imagine hundreds to thousands of men sitting around in various camps with nothing to do?

Back