Father William Corby (Irish Brigade) Remembers the Sunken Lane

ErnieMac

Colonel
Forum Host
Retired Moderator
Father William Corby CSC is better known for his absolution of the men of the Irish Brigade before they went into the Wheatfield on July 2, 1863 at Gettysburg. The following recounts Memoirs of Chaplain Life: Three Years with the Irish Brigade in the Army of the Potomac published in 1893.

"Our brave Gen. McClellan overtook the Confederates at South Mountain, on September 14, 1862, and badly worsted them. It became our turn to lead the army next day. We were in advance of all, and, as we dashed along, following the retreating Confederate forces, we saw, on every side, men and horses, dead and dying. I dismounted occasionally, and when I found men still living, did what I could for them. If Catholics, I heard their confessions, and if Protestants, baptized them, as individual cases required. Following up a routed and retreating army is very exciting. The men seemed to be wild in their pursuit of the Confederates. Finally we came up to Antietam. This stream empties, not very far from where we were, into the Potomac River. Here Lee took a stand. On September 16, 1862, no great fighting was done, except a fearful cannon duel. Next morning, September 17, the battle opened. The Confederates outnumbered McClellan's force, and, besides, they had the choice of position. Our brigade received orders to go in "double quick," that is, on a full run. I gave rein to my horse and let him go at full gallop till I reached the front of the brigade, and, passing along the line, told the men to make an Act of Contrition. As they were coming toward me, "double quick," I had time only to wheel my horse for an instant toward them and gave my poor men a hasty absolution, and rode on with Gen. Meagher into the battle. In twenty or thirty minutes after this absolution, 506 of these very men lay on the field, either dead or seriously wounded. Gen. Meagher's horse, a beautiful bright bay, was shot under him, and also the horse of the notorious Jack Gasson. I shall never forget how wicked the whiz of the enemy's bullets seemed as we advanced into that battle. As soon as my men began to fall, I dismounted and began to hear their confessions on the spot. It was then I felt the danger even more than when dashing into battle. Every instant bullets whizzed past my head, any one of which, if it had struck me, would have been sufficient to leave me dead on the spot, with many of my brave soldiers, as the bullets came from the Confederates at very close range. All the wounded of our brigade, numbering hundreds, were carried to a large straw-stack, which had to answer for a hospital. Here they had dry straw at least; but during the day, as all could not get into the shadow of the stack, the hot sun made it very uncomfortable for them. Here I saw one poor man with a bullet in his forehead, and his brains protruding from the hole made by the ball. Strange to say, he lived three days, but was speechless and deaf, and had lost his senses entirely. I attended another, a well-built man, in the full vigor of manhood, and about thirty years of age. A ball had passed directly through his body. He lived but two days, and died in great agony.

McClellan defeated the Confederates, who sustained a terrible loss, and then marched on and took possession of Harper's Ferry. I remained behind several days with the wounded. The next day after the battle I had a small hut erected near the straw-stack, celebrated Mass, and gave Holy Communion to all who were prepared. In doing so, I was obliged to carry it to them, as they lay here and there on the straw, unable to move—stepping over some, and walking around others. Those ready to receive were pointed out by a good soldier, or each made a sign for himself. Those who died were buried on the field, and the wounded were removed to the city, where they could be more easily cared for. A glance over this battle-field—that will ever occupy a prominent page in the history of our nation—shows that the battle was a terrible one in more than one sense. First, 500 pieces of artillery were engaged, and, counting both sides, about one hundred and seventy thousand men. Had the Confederates been successful —as they would have been if opposed by a less skillful general than McClellan—it is hard to say what would have been the result. The field presented a sickening sight the day after the battle—on September 18, 1862. Meagher's brigade did its duty as a military body, and received the highest commendation from Gen. McClellan—and from many historians since. Gen. McClellan, in a long report of its charge and other action during the battle, says, among many other words of praise: "The Irish Brigade sustained its well-earned reputation."

Having passed several days in doing all that I could for the wounded men, finding my services no longer required, I moved on to join my command at Harper's Ferry. …."

Those who died were buried on the field, and the wounded were removed to the city, where they could be more easily cared for. A glance over this battle-field—that will ever occupy a prominent page in the history of our nation—shows that the battle was a terrible one in more than one sense.
I recall that in 1989 four bodies of the Irish Brigade were discovered in a farmer's field near the observation tower and reburied at the National Cemetery there. I believe they were able to determine they were from the 63rd NY.
And I seem to remember a hiker finding some human bones at Antietam in 2009, they ascertained them to be of a New York State soldier, I don't know if he was from the Irish Brigade though.

172935_114107525330657_4192340_o.jpg

The Irish Brigade attacking the Bloody Lane. By Don Troiani.

Even going into battle at Fredericksburg, the Irish Brigade soldiers yelled to their comrades huddled on the slope around them that that was nothing compared to Antietam.

R

The New York soldiers that were found a few years back were buried in the vicinity of the north end of the Cornfield which means they were probably from either Doubleday's or Rickett's Division.

R

Even going into battle at Fredericksburg, the Irish Brigade soldiers yelled to their comrades huddled on the slope around them that that was nothing compared to Antietam.

R
They also yelled "Faugh A Ballagh!", Clear the Way in Irish, a battle cry that came from the Royal Irish Fusiliers. It originated from the Battle of Barrosa in 1811, when Sergeant Patrick Masterson of the Royal Irish Fusiliers screamed the battle cry Faugh A Ballagh when he captured a French Imperial Eagle, than saying "Be Jabers Boys! I have the Cuckoo!".

First person narratives, no matter how graphic or painful to read, are the ones that really reveal how horrific war is and the price the soldiers pay. May all of their souls (North and South) be resting in well earned peace. Thank you for posting Father Corby's words. May he also be resting in peace.

Thank you. I tried for that effect in the six accounts I posted yesterday. I thought the one of the 35th Massachusetts had a strong impact as well.

Last edited:
Hats off to Father Corby, but I hold McClellan is very little esteem compared to the good Father. McClellan lost total control of the battle . While Lee, desperately outnumbered, had to seriously weaken one flank to strengthen the other. In a series of uncoordinated Union hammer blows the Confederate lines were beginning to crumble. The incompetence of his enemy, allowed Lee to get off the hook.

Something to add...

During the U.S. Civil War from 1861-1865, Father William Corby became famous for his absolution of the Irish brigade at Gettysburg in 1863 as they went into battle. Shortly after this absolution many Irish soldiers would be cut down, but in the mercy of the Lord, they died with the sacramental comfort of the Holy Roman Catholic Church. This act is still commemorated by a statue of the absolution at Gettysburg National Battlefield. Father Corby later became president of Notre Dame and wrote a memoir of his three years in the Civil War which is still in print titled Memoirs of Chaplain Life: Three Years in the Irish Brigade with the Army of the Potomac.2

Something to add...

During the U.S. Civil War from 1861-1865, Father William Corby became famous for his absolution of the Irish brigade at Gettysburg in 1863 as they went into battle. Shortly after this absolution many Irish soldiers would be cut down, but in the mercy of the Lord, they died with the sacramental comfort of the Holy Roman Catholic Church. This act is still commemorated by a statue of the absolution at Gettysburg National Battlefield. Father Corby later became president of Notre Dame and wrote a memoir of his three years in the Civil War which is still in print titled Memoirs of Chaplain Life: Three Years in the Irish Brigade with the Army of the Potomac.2
He became the second president of ND following the school's founder, Father Edward Sorin. Sorin had dispatched Corby and other CSC's from Notre Dame to become chaplains in the Union armies. Sorin also was close to William T. Sherman's in-laws, the Ewings. During the war his wife Ellen and their two youngest lived at Notre Dame. His daughter Minnie actually got into a dust-up with a little girl from the South on Washington's Birthday 1864. When the war ended, Sherman came to pick up his family and gave the school's commencement address in June 1865.

Back