Famous People Who Are Civil War Aficiandos

I'd assume a few of the Gettysburg/Gods and Generals actors were buffs. Sam Elliot?

I don't know what to make of Jeff Daniels. According to IMDB "Daniels, a Michigan native and Civil War buff who played the role of Col. Joshua Lawrence Chamberlain in 'Gettysburg' and 'Gods and Generals,' wrote the foreword to Richard Bak's award-winning book, 'A Distant Thunder: Michigan in the Civil War'."
In a Los Angeles Times' interview about his title role of George Washington in the A&E special "The Crossing," the columnist claims that Daniels "admits he’s not a history buff, [but] says this was a part he couldn’t refuse."

I am compiling a list of famous people who have a deep interest in the Civil War. Some I have found so far are Ted Turner, Richard Dreyfuss and Josh Turner. Who are some other celebrities who should be on this list?
Here's Richard Dreyfuss at the 2012 Dedication Day ceremony in Soldier's National Cemetery in Gettysburg. He gave the keynote speech that year. I'm standing behind him with the Color Guard that participates in the ceremony. It was a good speech and fun to meet him in person.

177003_3788453192303_1432175973_o.jpg

I don't know what to make of Jeff Daniels. According toIMDB "Daniels, a Michigan native and Civil War buff who played the role of Col. Joshua Lawrence Chamberlain in 'Gettysburg' and 'Gods and Generals,' wrote the foreword to Richard Bak's award-winning book, 'A Distant Thunder: Michigan in the Civil War'."
In aLos Angeles Times' interview about his title role of George Washington in the A&E special "The Crossing," the columnist claims that Daniels "admits he’s not a history buff, [but] says this was a part he couldn’t refuse."
I'm not sure about him either , but there is a nice video on YouTube of him singing "Michigan My Michigan" with Michigan Civil War images .

I'm not sure about him either , but there is a nice video on YouTube of him singing "Michigan My Michigan" with Michigan Civil War images .
Mr. Daniels going from portraying Joshua Chamberlain doing 'Gettysburg' in 1993 to doing 'Dumb and Dumber' in 1994 is such an extreme contrast in roles. If he wanted to display his acting 'range' these two movies do it... :D

Back