Famous Celebrities who had Civil War ancestors

leftyhunter

Brev. Brig. Gen'l
Their has to be a passel full that's for sure. One of my favorite male Southerners is the King , Sir Elvis of Presley. Elvis's GGf was Duanne Presley Jr who twice joined and twice deserted two Confederate Regiments down Mississippi way and both times absconded with a $300 CSA bounty and lived to tell the tale. That took a lot of guts. Duanne apparently suffered from short term memory loss because he was married four times and forgot to divorces his various wives. "Elvis Presely a Southern Life" John Willamson p.68.
My favorite female Southerner in common with a certain Francis Albert of Hobken ,New Jersey is of course Ava Gardner. Ava was from deep in the heart of North Carolina and when she arrived for a screen test at MGM Studios ( now Sony Studios) in 1940 in my now hometown of Culver City no one could understand her speech. Fortunately the talent scouts were not blind. Ava has to have Civil War ancestors or maybe not.
There are of course others such as the greatest country singer of all times Hank Williams of Birmingham, Alabama. Their has to be a story on Hank.
So for my fellow posters who are experts in family research and you know who you are this might be a fun assignment.
Leftyhunter

Last edited:
Johnny Cash had ancestors who fought on both sides of the Civil War.In an interview with the magazine Garden/Gun Dec-Jan 2014 Roseanne Cash said a William Cash of Massachusetts was a Union soldier. Per Wiki Johnny Cash's Great Grandfather was Reuben Cash who was a Confederate soldier and his plantation in Georgia was burned down by Sherman's men.
Leftyhunter

Their has to be a passel full that's for sure. One of my favorite male Southerners is the King , Sir Elvis of Presley. Elvis's GGf was Duanne Presley Jr who twice joined and twice deserted two Confederate Regiments down Mississippi way and both times absconded with a $300 CSA bounty and lived to tell the tale. That took a lot of guts. Duanne apparently suffered from short term memory loss because he was married four times and forgot to divorces his various wives. "Elvis Presely a Southern Life" John Willamson p.68.
My favorite female Southerner in common with a certain Francis Albert of Hobken ,New Jersey is of course Ava Gardner. Ava was from deep in the heart of North Carolina and when she arrived for a screen test at MGM Studios ( now Sony Studios) in 1940 in my now hometown of Culver City no one could understand her speech. Fortunately the talent scouts were not blind. Ava has to have Civil War ancestors or maybe not.
There are of course others such as the greatest country singer of all times Hank Williams of Birmingham, Alabama. Their has to be a story on Hank.
So for my fellow posters who are experts in family research and you know who you are this might be a fun assignment.
Leftyhunter

I remember a Confederate ancestor mention in her family history at the Ava Gardner Museum in Smithfield, NC, but don't remember his name. Ava was born and raised on a farm in Johnston, County – the same county as the Battle of Bentonville.

I just reposted a thread that Seth VA/NC did on Pvt George Nixon of Ohio. It is a very dramatic and sad story and Seth did a great job in posting the details.
Thanks
Leftyhunter
He's no long active here but I'll let him know of your kind words. I don't think he felt appreciated here.

Another celeb was Matthew Broderick on Who Do You Think You Are. They found his gggrandfather's unmarked grave through burial records.

I remember a Confederate ancestor mention in her family history at the Ava Gardner Museum in Smithfield, NC, but don't remember his name. Ava was born and raised on a farm in Johnston, County – the same county as the Battle of Bentonville.
Her family lived in North Carolina for generations so their should quite a few Civil War ancestors. No doubt their are other Southern actress besides Ava but no one was luke Ava.
Leftyhunter

Back