Petersburg/Richmond Family Search - Louisiana Infantry Involvement in Battles Near Appomattox

ToniH

Cadet
I am attempting to find out which battle my 1st Louisiana Infantry Regiment relative was involved in when he was wounded (on April 2, 1865). He eventually died of his wounds on April 21, 1865.

We don't know what battle he received his wounds in, nor where he died. I tried to find out if he might have been taken to a hospital and passed away there, but no avail.

I am trying to discern where the few members left of the Louisiana Infantry found themselves (battle-wise) near Appomattox during the last few days of the Confederacy. I have heard of mixed locations (Fort Gregg, Fort Mahone, Fort Stedman, or Sutherland Station). Would anyone have any idea where they would have been placed? I have tried to find a map with details, but no such luck.

Charles Edward Morse
DOB: 07 Sept. 1843 - New Orleans, Orleans, Louisiana
DOD: 21 April 1865 - Petersburg, Virginia

Military:
Enlisted: 28 April 1861 - New Orleans, Louisiana
Co. K 1st Louisiana Infantry Regiment (Nelligan's)
Rank In: Private
Rank at Death: First Sergeant
Last unit: Gordon's Brigade of Louisiana Sharpshooters

Thank you for your help.
Toni

Attachments

• 1st Louisiana Infantry Regiment - April 1865.pdf
    95.2 KB · Views: 41
  • Obituary - Charles Edward Morse .pdf
    78.9 KB · Views: 29
I am attempting to find out which battle my 1st Louisiana Infantry Regiment relative was involved in when he was wounded (on April 2, 1865). He eventually died of his wounds on April 21, 1865.

We don't know what battle he received his wounds in, nor where he died. I tried to find out if he might have been taken to a hospital and passed away there, but no avail.

I am trying to discern where the few members left of the Louisiana Infantry found themselves (battle-wise) near Appomattox during the last few days of the Confederacy. I have heard of mixed locations (Fort Gregg, Fort Mahone, Fort Stedman, or Sutherland Station). Would anyone have any idea where they would have been placed? I have tried to find a map with details, but no such luck.

Charles Edward Morse
DOB: 07 Sept. 1843 - New Orleans, Orleans, Louisiana
DOD: 21 April 1865 - Petersburg, Virginia

Military:
Enlisted: 28 April 1861 - New Orleans, Louisiana
Co. K 1st Louisiana Infantry Regiment (Nelligan's)
Rank In: Private
Rank at Death: First Sergeant
Last unit: Gordon's Brigade of Louisiana Sharpshooters

Thank you for your help.
Toni
Welcome! I believe the 1st Louisannia was part of York's Brigade, Gordon's Division 2nd Corps Army Of Northern Virginia. Charles was probably wounded in the attack on Fort Steadman.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fort_Stedman_Confederate_order_of_battle

The obituary says he was "killed" on "April 2d". What indicates he was wounded on the 2nd and died the 21st?

April 2nd was the Federal "breakthrough" at Petersburg. An all out assault that led to Lee evacuating the city.

Welcome! I believe the 1st Louisannia was part of York's Brigade, Gordon's Division 2nd Corps Army Of Northern Virginia. Charles was probably wounded in the attack on Fort Steadman.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fort_Stedman_Confederate_order_of_battle
Thank you for your help. Yes, it was part of the York's Brigade, Gordon's Division of the Second Army of Northern Virginia. I wasn't sure where the part ended up, since there were so few left of the various regiments. So you believe that Fort Steadman is where the Louisiana regiments ended up (their last battle)?

The obituary says he was "killed" on "April 2d". What indicates he was wounded on the 2nd and died the 21st?

April 2nd was the Federal "breakthrough" at Petersburg. An all out assault that led to Lee evacuating the city.
Thank you for your response. We always thought that he was "killed" on April 2nd, but upon reading the obituary, it looked like "21". So that typing actually means "2nd"?

Thank you for your help. Yes, it was part of the York's Brigade, Gordon's Division of the Second Army of Northern Virginia. I wasn't sure where the part ended up, since there were so few left of the various regiments. So you believe that Fort Steadman is where the Louisiana regiments ended up (their last battle)?
It was a Confederate defeat. I'm sure there were Louisanaians that survived and returned to the Confederate positions and fought until Appomattox. On April 2, 1865, the Union Army made an all-out attack that broke the Confederate line at Petersburg. My 2 x great-grandfather from North Carolina was captured that day. If Charles survived Fort Steadman on March 25, he could have been wounded in the fighting that day. The fighting was scattered and continued as the Confederates fell back.

Thank you for your response. We always thought that he was "killed" on April 2nd, but upon reading the obituary, it looked like "21". So that typing actually means "2nd"?

Yes it says "2d" (2nd) not 21st. Since he was "killed" that day then he was wounded and died the same day. His fatal wound would not have come on a prior day.

Glad to help. Do you have his actual service record? Message me your email and I'll download and email it to you.

Hello @ToniH

Welcome to the forum.

I found your ancestor's service records. He has quite a few, 35 cards to be exact.
I didn't go through all of them as many apparently didn't copy well.

However, if you adjust the brightness, tone, ect ... you might be able to read parts of the records.

I hope this helps !

Attachments

• Morse, Charles E (19).pdf
    3.8 MB · Views: 33
Back