Forrest Golden Thread Family Photos

There has always been speculation on what buttons NBF wore. Most of the photos really aren't clear enough for a 100% as to maker etc. You can't really go by any paintings. On his Brig Gen uniform he is wearing a low convex CS Eagle button.
brig-gen.JPG

On his LT Gen uniform its a High dome button type and William has the same style on his.
ltgen.jpg

Thank you! Do you think that is a modified CSA uniform Bill is wearing in that photo? The reason I'm interested is because Bill died just before the ban on Confederate clothing was rescinded. As far as I can tell, he was never reconstructed in any sense of the word and would have wanted to be buried in his uniform.

In his photo he is wearing a per say CS reg frock coat. CS uniform regs at the end of the war were not at the top of the list. Here is a coat that belonged to Lt Mims Walker who was Gen Law;s AAG and it has Union Staff Officer buttons on it.
IMG_20150619_094100968.jpg
IMG_20150619_094152549_HDR.jpg
IMG_20150619_094215719.jpg

Jesus, and here I thought Bedford Forrest was scary looking, William is outright terrifying!

:laugh: Dead folk do tend to be scary but, got to say, Bill was the only guy his brother feared. "No man alive can tell when Bill is going to get mad," Bedford remarked to a staffer. You can't really tell it by his photo but Bill was reckoned to be very handsome, with curly hair and a compact build - he was around 5'7" or so. People also said that despite his tendency to get very angry very quickly (and usually somebody died) he was also generous and kindly, charming. People liked him a lot.

I wondered about that considering where his saber comes - the blades were long. But Bill was around 5'7" to 5'9". He was solid built, too. The fellow in the picture might be more toward 6 foot?
I'm thinking that's a model 1840 Cavalry Sabre. That is ~3.7 feet long, and I'm going to say he's around twice that length. Very likely the man in the photo is around 6 ft more or less.

I'm thinking that's a model 1840 Cavalry Sabre. That is ~3.7 feet long, and I'm going to say he's around twice that length. Very likely the man in the photo is around 6 ft more or less.

This is cool! As it happens, I have a fake sword that is about that length. So I stood up and gave it the length test - it comes just about the same place as that one the officer has. I'm 5'8". The plot thickens!!! Of course, he could be a tall feller leaning a little.

Back