Families' suffer during the war

vtangstastic

Cadet
Hi everyone, I'm a new member here and I hope that everyone can help me with the information of families' suffer during the war
Can you name me some of the soldiers' or leaders' sons, daughters, wives death or injury during the war? Thank you. If you have the link or photos then that would be greater

Welcome to the forum. Hope you find what you need- we do have quite a few threads on civilians caught swept up inside chaos. With so many pages of threads, wish I could remember off hand, enough to be helpful. The war in the west was especially hard on civilians. The other host of Ladies Tea, 18th Virginia, has done quite a few threads pertaining to them. perhaps do a search, browsing these? With so many civilians caught in awful circumstances, it's inevitable some will be soldiers' family members.

You can check out my book, Trapped in the Crossfire, described in my signature below, which is discussed and reviewed in the Book Review Forum. It is my Southern family's true-life War experience.

Suffering? An estimated 200,000 Southern families fled the War, most without a man heading the household. Many ended up robbed, killed, or resorted to living in caves. Southern women, children, and elderly starved to death during the War.

Attachments

• fl mrs hiller2.JPG
    fl mrs hiller2.JPG
    54.8 KB · Views: 160
  • Pro unionist mrs hillier in Arkansas.JPG
    Pro unionist mrs hillier in Arkansas.JPG
    98 KB · Views: 129
Last edited:
Can you name some of the leaders' sons, death or injury during the war?

After the surrender of Vicksburg, General Wm T Sherman was promoted and place in command of the XV Corps there. After the defeat at Chickamauga, Grant ordered Sherman to join him at Chattanooga. Gen Sherman and his family boarded river transports for a trip up the Mississippi River to Memphis. Sherman's son, Willy, became with typhoid fever(I think) and died at the Gayoso Hotel. His family continued on to St. Louis.

Is that what you are asking??

Welcome.

The Dahlgren affair is pretty famous in Civil War annals.

Young Ulric Dahlgren was killed: His father was a high-ranking officer in the US Navy.

Back